Sign in to follow this  

Dual sporting kick start only bike

I just purchased a 01 WR426 with the intention of dual sporting it. I was planing on buying a Baja Designs kit; however, they don't make a WR426 specific kit.

I see that they offer a universal DS kit for kick start bikes. Does anyone on here have any experience installing one? Do any of you DS riders have any other recommendations for dual sporting it.

Thanks

Captainkibbs

I had the Baja Designs kit on my old DR350 kick start only bike. Worked fine, but the battery eventually died on me. Here in AZ I don't need turn signals, so I'm going to wire up my own headlight and brakelight and spend $300 less than a Baja Designs kit. Running HID and LED lights will have minimal draw off your stator. If you don't have the cheddar for HID lights at least do the LED's for brake and turn lights. Good luck. It's a blast riding a dirtbike in town :)

Dunno 'bout a WR426, but I did what you are asking...I have a 97 XR600r (kickstart) and bought a kit for a different Honda kickstart model. Installed w/NO probs whatsoever.

if you've got DC current available, it's pretty darn easy to brew up your own dual sport kit. I just brewed one up for about $70 for my ktm450exc I purchased here.

a few cheap turn signals from cycle gear, a flasher relay from the autoparts store and a $7 turn signal switchgear which my local cycle store stocked.

now if you DON'T have DC current, then you'll have some fun. You'll have to rectify it ; although it's wouldn't be impossible to build an AC turn signal system, lol.

I just finished DS'ing a bone stock '02 DR-Z400 kicker. I didn't use a kit. I did it all myself from parts assembled from Wal-Mart, O'Reillys, and a couple of specialty bike equipment vendors. Wired it up totally from scratch. Was pretty easy really. I tracked the costs pretty closely. Total spend for everything (wire, connectors, switch, blinkers, flasher, 55w bulb, brake/tail light & switch) was $168 not counting the analog speedometer I added. $232 counting the old-school speedo (which runs directly off the OEM odometer cable btw). Pretty much took an entire weekend. Not difficult, with a plan.

I have installed lighting kits ranging from full-on Baja Designs kits to simply adding a regulator/rectifier and hanging on brake light switch, nimh battery pack, flasher and lamps from Auto Zone. If you want to buy components and do-it-yourself, look here http://www.procycle.us good stuff, not too expensive.

Had a WR400 that i ran with stock headlight and a number of different tail lights inluding stock. You have wires stock to run the brake/run light. Turn signals will work with some throttle but won't flash at idle because of low voltage. This was with a 3$ auto parts thermal flasher. I ran a 55w headlight off of the stock '00 stator.

Hooked up a small battery before i sold it for the signals and tail lights for bright lights/signals at idle. Charged it through a reg/reticifier. With the Baja Designs tail light i left it on all night and only used .1 of a volt of battery. DC is not needed unless you want a battery for idle. Don't run the headlight off of the battery or it'll suck it dry in 30-45 seconds at idle.

Thanks for all of the info and links. Thumper Talk people rock. I am in Michigan and don't need turn signals but I do plan on driving at night occasionally and I feel turn signals are a little safer; however, I am leaning towards just the minimum lighting to make it road legal for now.

I also have a 91 DR350S with signals and I have to replace at least 2 signals a year, so it would be nice to not have to worry about that. I know I could stop crashing then I wouldn't have to replace them, but what fun is that.

I bought a trailer and I find that I am riding around town and on paved roads less than I use to. With this in mind I think I will just wire up my own and go with the minimum lights.

Thanks again for all the info:thumbsup:

Captainkibbs

Thanks for all of the info and links. Thumper Talk people rock. I am in Michigan and don't need turn signals but I do plan on driving at night occasionally and I feel turn signals are a little safer; however, I am leaning towards just the minimum lighting to make it road legal for now.

I hear ya. Alabama doesn't require anything beyond headlight, tail light, horn, and mirror. But I just didn't feel safe on the road without blinkers, 55w headlight & stop light.

If you decide to add more safety equip (which WOULD technically be required under federal DOT regs on any interstate or federal highway), you might consider adding inexpensive LED blinkers on handguards, and flush-mounted incandescent blinkers on side of fender on rear. That's what I did and there's minimal chance of them being taken off in a crash. Plus the LED's are dirt cheap ($6 from Wal-Mart), draw almost no power, and when combined in the same circuit (same side) with an incandescent blinker, require no special (expensive) flasher unit nor additional resistance load in the circuit to make em flash.

Best of luck, & let us know what you come up with!

Your WR takes Baja Designs Kit P/N 12-1300-BU and no new stator is required.

I really can't go much more into detail than that,

because the shop I own is selling them, and I'm not yet set up here as an advertiser (I did fill out the advertiser thing, just waiting to hear back and throw some $$$ at it. lol)

i have a brand new kick start Baja designs kit w/ led upgrade i will let go cheap if anyone wants one. dont need it afterall. I got a different bike

Autozone has LED specific blinkers for $12. It wouldn't be a problem to wire one in, especially if you're making your own lighting harness anyway. They will blink properly with all LEDs, LED/incandescent mixed or straight incandescent.

And the Walmart LEDs work great. They are meant to be clearance lights, but they are plenty bright even in direct sunlight.

the battery eventually died on me.

i have the BD kit on my xr650r and the battery died on it too. 10 AA batteries make a 12v pack when soldered together. wal mart has 2450 mah rechargable batteries much cheaper than you can buy the 700 mah pack from BD. works great.

I have the same bike 01 wr426 and mine has the BD kit on it. It is technically a non DOT kit since it uses stock head light and tail light. It is specific to this bike though. The head light is plenty bright 55/60 watt bulb and the stock tail light is pre wired for brake. I think the PN is 121017. I don't see it on their web site but it may be worth a call to them. I have had it on the bike since 2003 without any problems that were not related to me crashing.

I have the same bike 01 wr426 and mine has the BD kit on it. It is technically a non DOT kit since it uses stock head light and tail light. It is specific to this bike though. The head light is plenty bright 55/60 watt bulb and the stock tail light is pre wired for brake. I think the PN is 121017. I don't see it on their web site but it may be worth a call to them. I have had it on the bike since 2003 without any problems that were not related to me crashing.

that is probably the enduro kit, the dual sport kit includes headlight tail light and turn signals and horn so it is DOT legal

that is probably the enduro kit, the dual sport kit includes headlight tail light and turn signals and horn so it is DOT legal

Nope. It is a non dot dual sport kit. It came with full function switch,battery, front and rear blinkers, horn, brake light switch, rear plate holder w/ light, high beam indicator. It has all the things to make it legal but I assume the reflector sze on the headlight is too small so it and the rear light are not DOT ratedDSCN0060.jpg

I actually found an old catalog(03-04) an it lists it as Dual sport kit standard PN 12-1017 and then it shows DS kit DOT 12-1016