Sign in to follow this  

Truck Steps - Need Ideas

I'm a short guy who bought a new Ram 1500 4wd that is so tall I need help getting in/out.

The "Bully" cast aluminum steps just bolt to the rocker panels...just sheet metal, not to the frame.

The step bars I've looked at mount to the frame but load up with snow, ice, get in the way off roading, etc

Anyone know of a better step or one that does reach to the frame?

it cant be that hard to just make one? than its exacly what you want......maby a small diamater tube going all the way back with a nice foot step welded on, have it powdercoated too.

Wish I had an extra $1200 for the power steps...wonder about winter snow/slush /ice buildup

Looking like I need to shop some SS tubing to fab my own steps

Whatever you do, avoid any of the tube steps with a chromed or glossy finish that don't have a non-slip pad on them....when they get wet, they're so slick you'd swear they're greased.

Anything you mount there for a step will accumalate snow and ice in sloppy road conditions.

Myself, I am not a fan of steps that bolt to the sheetmetal-I'm skeptical about the long term structural durability of the rocker panel, and anytime you pierce the paint, you leave an opening for salt/moisture to get at the body metal.

Wish I had an extra $1200 for the power steps...wonder about winter snow/slush /ice buildup

I had these on a few differant trucks, they are well worth it. They tuck up really tight so snow/ice/etc. doesnt get on top of them. Also since they tuck up you dont really have to worry about them offroad.

I'm a short guy who bought a new Ram 1500 4wd that is so tall I need help getting in/out.

The "Bully" cast aluminum steps just bolt to the rocker panels...just sheet metal, not to the frame.

The step bars I've looked at mount to the frame but load up with snow, ice, get in the way off roading, etc

Anyone know of a better step or one that does reach to the frame?

Just curious, but what do you have against the steps that bolt through the rocker panel? I have used Carr steps on my last two trucks and I have had no problems with them. My 320 lb coworker stands on them regularly. I can see the concern about drilling holes for you guys living in areas with Snow\road salt but I think if you made sure to hit any bare metal with paint after drilling the mounting holes you would be fine.

Just curious, but what do you have against the steps that bolt through the rocker panel? I have used Carr steps on my last two trucks and I have had no problems with them. My 320 lb coworker stands on them regularly. I can see the concern about drilling holes for you guys living in areas with Snow\road salt but I think if you made sure to hit any bare metal with paint after drilling the mounting holes you would be fine.

Every older (over the ten year mark) truck that I know that has rocker mounted steps, they're mushy as the rocker panel over time starts to flex from the stress of people's weight being put on them.

That, and every one of that age around here, the rocker rot starts around the step, no matter what precautions you take (touch up paint, etc). Even if you try to seal the hole up, it's still an inlet for moisture and salt to get inside and begin it's dirty work.

just get a handle mounted on the side, between the driver and backseat door, and swing in there, i have the same problem with my 6 inch lifted 35 inch tire jeep cherokee

Also, I was a bit concerned while offroading if the rocker mounted step took a "hit" how bad it would tear up the rocker panel - the carrs and bullies I looked at use two sheet metal screws and two bolts. I grew up where CH is and know very well about corrosion problems. Colorado used to be salt free but now use mag chloride extensively.Both bolts on my front license plate mounts sheared rather than unscrewing last year while mounting new plates.

Wish Amp made 10" retractable steps rather than running boards...might have to make my own.

Heres an idea for ya. Take a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" chain and make it as long as you would need it for you height. then you just weld 6 or 7 links together to form a platform and leave the rest free. That way you have the solid platform to step on and if you get into something off-road the chain will just absorb it. It should look something like this 0 0

0 0

0 0

0 0

weld these links^^^