Sign in to follow this  

Just got an 08X...need hand guards, radiator guards and skid plate...

......need the big three.....

I'd like the best hand guards....easy to fit and without having to cut the levers down or cut away the grip area...

the radiator guards need to really protect and take a beating..the more protection the better.....

the skid plateneeds to give max protection and have wings that cover up the side...but also give me access to draining the oil and the such.

Thanks for you opinions.........Happy new 450x owner......

Cycra Handguards - Triple mount w/ Atek bar inserts. had enough of bending the regular bar inserts and the Atek's are great. You tap the bar and they stay exactly where you put them. Highly recommended.

Flatland skidplate

Unabiker Radiator guards

OK, here is my opinion which is consistent with most (2 out of 3 anyway). I always like to give an opinion followed by reasoning (in my world anyway):)

1. Hand Guards - CYCRA - I have them now. The only downside is they come stock with those stupid looking massive plastic deflectors. The good news is that they also offer many other styles that can be interchanged, so don't let the look discourage you. Also they sell a lot of extra parts to support their products. Personally I like the "solution" mount mechanism for many reasons. ** Tip: Order up a spare set of the bolts that mount into the end of the handlebars ... after a number of crashes they start to bend. Having a spare set on hand is a good idea (even light to carry with you in the event you ever needed a new bolt on the trail).

2. Skidplate - Flatland - offers really good protection. Only downside I have seen is that you have to remove it in order to change the oil filter OR you can do what I did and "bend" the wings outward a little more to allow enough room for the filter to move out. They are VERY strong plates (as per picture below).

3. Rad Guards - sorry but I cannot recommend Flatland. Having said that, you need to decide how important FRONTAL PROTECTION is to you. If you choose any rad guard with frontal protection, you inevitably compromise the flow of air through your rads which can cause your bike to overheat more often. If your always moving at a good speed, your OK. The models with frontal protection create a HUGH DEAD SPOT where air is "normally" being deflected through your rads (ironically at the location where your shrouds are deflecting the MOST air). Look at the picture below ... air being caught in this "pocket" is going nowhere .. definitely not through your rads (but it is EASY to fix)

If frontal protection IS IMPORTANT to you, the above is just something you will have to live with. In that case you cannot go wrong with Flatland. If its not that important, I would recommend the MOOSE RACING rad frames. Far tougher than the Flatland ones, much thicker, but don't offer frontal protection (yes I have run both). Stay clear of WC tinfoil "so-called" braces.

Here is my review on the Flatland rad guards that explains a little more of what I have stated above. Biggest choice you will have to make choosing rad guards is how important frontal protection is to you, based on where you ride and your style.

If you do go flatland, I would encourage you to read the review for some ideas on how to improve airflow (remounting deflectors, using 3M plastic, etc.). Note I cut some "bars" away to help improve air flow, but at the end of the day, they came off and are now replaced with Moose guards.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561873&page=2

Here are a couple pics showing

a) How tough the Flatland skid plates are

:banghead: The "DEAD SPOT" just inside the shrouds created by Flatland Guards

Good luck :banghead:

P1010877.jpg

Rad2.jpg

Rad3.jpg

P1010842.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture from the front showing the Moose Guards ... no compromise in air flow ... thick and strong ... BUT no frontal protection other than the plastic deflectors. :)

Note: The reason my deflectors are cut up is because this is a 450R running Fluidyne oversize rads ... with 450X deflectors (as the 450R's are much smaller). Your deflectors would fit much more flush and not need to be zip-tied.

cid_3237A26AF8874F5D82BE6C36A7C5932.jpg

cid_E710390892D94207A672C835C3850C0.jpg

thanks for the great tips..which of the Cycra grips should I get.....

the probend racer pack with u clamps ......or

the probend racer pack triple clamp SIDE mounts...or

the probend racer pack triple clamp FRONT mounts.

..or

the probend CRM (center Reach mount) complete racer pack....

Is the "Solution" Mount System included with any of these?.....

.......................Thanks for any input...

thanks for the great tips..which of the Cycra grips should I get.....

the probend racer pack with u clamps ......or

the probend racer pack triple clamp SIDE mounts...or

the probend racer pack triple clamp FRONT mounts.

..or

the probend CRM (center Reach mount) complete racer pack....

Is the "Solution" Mount System included with any of these?.....

.......................Thanks for any input...

solution is a seperate mount. Will run parallel to handlebars.

I'm running the triple clamp side mount on two bikes and very sturdy. No complaints with this setup.

Just called Cycra and talked to a sales rep and he said to get Model: 7110-crx...which on the website is 7110-02x-cr...and that the probend triple clamp side mount made just for the 450x as its makes an allowance for the headlite.

OK, here is my opinion which is consistent with most (2 out of 3 anyway). I always like to give an opinion followed by reasoning (in my world anyway):)

1. Hand Guards - CYCRA - I have them now. The only downside is they come stock with those stupid looking massive plastic deflectors. The good news is that they also offer many other styles that can be interchanged, so don't let the look discourage you. Also they sell a lot of extra parts to support their products. Personally I like the "solution" mount mechanism for many reasons. ** Tip: Order up a spare set of the bolts that mount into the end of the handlebars ... after a number of crashes they start to bend. Having a spare set on hand is a good idea (even light to carry with you in the event you ever needed a new bolt on the trail).

2. Skidplate - Flatland - offers really good protection. Only downside I have seen is that you have to remove it in order to change the oil filter OR you can do what I did and "bend" the wings outward a little more to allow enough room for the filter to move out. They are VERY strong plates (as per picture below).

3. Rad Guards - sorry but I cannot recommend Flatland. Having said that, you need to decide how important FRONTAL PROTECTION is to you. If you choose any rad guard with frontal protection, you inevitably compromise the flow of air through your rads which can cause your bike to overheat more often. If your always moving at a good speed, your OK. The models with frontal protection create a HUGH DEAD SPOT where air is "normally" being deflected through your rads (ironically at the location where your shrouds are deflecting the MOST air). Look at the picture below ... air being caught in this "pocket" is going nowhere .. definitely not through your rads (but it is EASY to fix)

If frontal protection IS IMPORTANT to you, the above is just something you will have to live with. In that case you cannot go wrong with Flatland. If its not that important, I would recommend the MOOSE RACING rad frames. Far tougher than the Flatland ones, much thicker, but don't offer frontal protection (yes I have run both). Stay clear of WC tinfoil "so-called" braces.

Here is my review on the Flatland rad guards that explains a little more of what I have stated above. Biggest choice you will have to make choosing rad guards is how important frontal protection is to you, based on where you ride and your style.

If you do go flatland, I would encourage you to read the review for some ideas on how to improve airflow (remounting deflectors, using 3M plastic, etc.). Note I cut some "bars" away to help improve air flow, but at the end of the day, they came off and are now replaced with Moose guards.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561873&page=2

Here are a couple pics showing

a) How tough the Flatland skid plates are

:crazy: The "DEAD SPOT" just inside the shrouds created by Flatland Guards

Good luck :banghead:

P1010877.jpg

Rad2.jpg

Rad3.jpg

P1010842.jpg

Great post VOKES... lots of good input there.

However, I see frontal protection needs on most everywhere I ride. In fact, I'd be more challenged to know where you DON'T need frontal protection on an X. An R... the track, but an X?!

And the work-a-round for air flow... crazy stuff. I've never overheated (but a drop or two), and don't run a secret solution or mix other than water-wetter additive. And even in 1st gear crawls in 100°+ heat, no gurgles into the tank. To top that off... I run flatlands and have no altering to the original item (no cutting of the guard, or additional fins). I'm not sure most riders would need some of what your suggesting or showing in your pics. Might sway someone to stay away from a great product (misleading a bit). And we all know... fins, are only good when there's air flow. At crawling speeds... you need to stay off the clutch, and lower your revs a bit to keep from overheating. No guards, fins, or such custom devices (other than an electric fan) will help cool anything.

About those "massive" plastic Cycra hand-guards... I love'em. In fact, I tried the smaller sleak looking units (for one reason, and that is because upon initial install I hated the large guard and I too hated the massive look) and after one ride (where I needed handguards in the first place), I tore'em off and bought the larger massive ones. In fact, I'd never go back to the smaller... If you like smaller, then why even have a hand-guard?! You might as well go to only a "bark buster" concept.

... and +100 on the Works Connection Braces (and the skid plate). It should be false advertising. :p

As also mentioned, HighWayDirtBikes makes a killer set of handguards. Don't forget to look them up as well.

Cycra hand guards:ride:

Works Connection skid:thumbsup: :banghead:

Works Connection Braces:thumbsup: :foul:

... glad you like Cycra, they are great. But, one crash... and you'll see the light with the WC braces. :busted:

Yeah in regards to the overheating ... your right. On my 450X, I never had it boil over once.

I now run a 450R that I have tried my best to convert back into a 450X (yeah the "R" guys don't like to hear that .. its an ego thing).

On the R, I had to look at ways of addressing overheating. I put on Fluidyne Rads, and even installed the 450X overflow tank, and would still boil over on occassion. From these experiences, I started trying to look at ways at making it run cooler.

I would recommend the 3M plastic addition regardless of what Rad guard you choose. If there is a "gap" between the guard and the shroud, you might as well "bridge the gap" and deflect the air through the rads instead of into an empty pocket. Anything to help with cooling is a bonus :)

Hey JohnnyAirtime ... gee I hope your wrong about the frontal protection needed. I am just getting ready for a new riding season to start in less than a week where I live. I have never "needed" the frontal protection to date (knocking on a huge chunk of wood right now :busted: ) and "hope" I won't this year. The worst I ever encounter is from the clowns I ride with ... they like to stop ahead on the trail around a corner in a huge mud bog ... and when you get close ROOST you with tons of mud!! Ooops, better be honest ... I do it too back to them .. bunch of adults acting like kids :p I think the plastic deflectors should help against trail "debris" but am not too confident in them stopping a stick. ** Nice shot of the cycra solution mounts :banghead:

Yeah so I would agree that the Flatlands are VERY GOOD if you want frontal protection .. hope I did not imply otherwise. I just decided to forgo the front protection this year for "hopefully" better cooling.:banghead::foul:

Great post VOKES... lots of good input there.

However, I see frontal protection needs on most everywhere I ride. In fact, I'd be more challenged to know where you DON'T need frontal protection on an X. An R... the track, but an X?!

And the work-a-round for air flow... crazy stuff. I've never overheated (but a drop or two), and don't run a secret solution or mix other than water-wetter additive. And even in 1st gear crawls in 100°+ heat, no gurgles into the tank. To top that off... I run flatlands and have no altering to the original item (no cutting of the guard, or additional fins). I'm not sure most riders would need some of what your suggesting or showing in your pics. Might sway someone to stay away from a great product (misleading a bit). And we all know... fins, are only good when there's air flow. At crawling speeds... you need to stay off the clutch, and lower your revs a bit to keep from overheating. No guards, fins, or such custom devices (other than an electric fan) will help cool anything.

About those "massive" plastic Cycra hand-guards... I love'em. In fact, I tried the smaller sleak looking units (for one reason, and that is because upon initial install I hated the large guard and I too hated the massive look) and after one ride (where I needed handguards in the first place), I tore'em off and bought the larger massive ones. In fact, I'd never go back to the smaller... If you like smaller, then why even have a hand-guard?! You might as well go to only a "bark buster" concept.

... and +100 on the Works Connection Braces (and the skid plate). It should be false advertising. :banghead:

As also mentioned, HighWayDirtBikes makes a killer set of handguards. Don't forget to look them up as well.

... glad you like Cycra, they are great. But, one crash... and you'll see the light with the WC braces. :banghead:

If you ask me they have the best ones out right now. I like my Cycra Probents, but I think the HighWayDirtBikes ones are better. If I had to do it again I would get those. Also that top mount that they come with is great if you want to add a Vapor down the line. :)