Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 carby and throttle help

Hey TTer's

We have recently purchased a TTR125 for my girlfriend's first bike and we are having some issues.

The throttle is sticking open. I took the rubber inlet/outlet off the carby and looked inside when twisting the throttle, and the pump (right part?) is moving up and down, so it cant be a stuck or snapped cable. Im handy with a spanner or two but I have never played with carbies so I have no idea where to go from here...which also leads me to my next question.

A small drain tube coming off the back of the bowl constantly leaks when the bike runs or the fuel tap is even left on. I have been told this will be a new needle and seat, but I dont know what they look like to diagnose the problem, or even replace them if I bought new parts. I have been told the needle may become "blunt", but like I said I dont know what to look for.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

Thanks!

You don't need a new float needle or seat. Just a good cleaning, and you might want to think about installing a clear inline fuel filter. That will take care of your carb bowl overfilling and fuel spilling out.

The spring on the throttle can get weak overtime, however, just take the carb off the bike and clean all of it. You are going to have to remove the carb to take care of the float bowl, but it will be worth it.

While you are in there, go ahead and install a new pilot and main jet. Check out the "Sticky" at the top, it will have all the pictures you could ever want about the removal, disassembly, reassembly, and installation. It even includes great tips on jetting.

Tim

Alright, thanks mate Ill take it off and have a proper look and clean.

I have had the carby open, including the float bowl off and it never had too much gunk in the bottom, just a bit of grit and stuff which came out easily.

I will take the carby off completely today and have a thorough inspection, lube the throttle cable and what ever else I can do. I did have a look at the sticky, its brilliant and was a huge help in identifying some of the parts inside.

thanks again.

As for the throttle sticking... Make sure that the boots that hold the carb on are tight. I had the same issue.

As for the overflow. Take out the bowl float valve and clean it.. and make sure the boots that hold the carb on are tight and not cracked.

You should be golden

Did you take the throttle off of the handle bar and clean the bar and tube?

Kid missed his class practice during a race because we had the carb apart on a stuck throttle problem... it ended up being the tube and bar were all crapped up.

-Kerry

Did you take the throttle off of the handle bar and clean the bar and tube?

Kid missed his class practice during a race because we had the carb apart on a stuck throttle problem... it ended up being the tube and bar were all crapped up.

-Kerry

+1 on that! My son's basically would not return. After pulling the throttle tube off, I found the prior owner had put on new grips with waaaaaayyy too much glue and packed it between the tube and bar. BTW, I found the bar end is treated to help keep it slippery with the throttle tube but in my fervor to get all the glue off, I damaged some of the treatment. Just FYI to not be as aggressive as I was in the cleaning.

As for the throttle sticking... Make sure that the boots that hold the carb on are tight. I had the same issue.

As for the overflow. Take out the bowl float valve and clean it.. and make sure the boots that hold the carb on are tight and not cracked.

You should be golden

Can you tell me what part number that is so I can look it up and know what part exactly I need to clean? I have the same overflow problem. Thanks.

Take the carb off of the bike. Disassemble the bowl from the carb's body. Take the pin out that is holding the float on. Be careful, because the float needle is very small. Clean the carb, paying close attention to the area that you took the float off of-there is a hole that the fuel dumps into there. Use carb cleaner to clean everything, and take a q-tip soaked in carb cleaner and gently clean the hole.

For all of the pictures in the world, check the "Sticky" at the top of the forum. The one with carb pictures is the one for re-jetting the carb. It's a great visual and written guide put together about three years ago.

And if you get a chance, install an inline fuel filter. For some reason, the gas that I've gotten for the last six months has been full of sediment. It's not just from one gas station either...I think is just the eastern NC mix these days.