Just BROKE a bolt off my bike........am i screwed?!?!?

this is mostly a yamaha question but i think anyone can help so ill put it here. i just did an oil change on my '06 yz250f and broke the TOP oil tank bolt off! ive been trying to get it out for a good 30 min and its not coming. its broken so that the break is under the flush part of the tank. am i screwed or is there a way to get it out. i really dont want to buy a new oil tank if i can help it! do i actually need to take this bolt out when doing an oil change? to me it looks like it is a breather hole for lack of better word! oil drains out bottom hole and air gets sucked in through top hole. can anyone help me please!? im heading back out to see if i can get actually get it out! hope to god i can get it out!

assuming you have a drill.....

go buy a drill bit that is smaller than the shaft of the bolt, buy the appropriate ez out ( they are also called bolt extractors). drill through the shaft of the bolt, insert the ez out in the hole, remove bolt! you might have to remove the tank to clean out some of the metal shards from drilling

this is pretty minor. your only 18 you will def do this again

have fun, take your time and impress your buddies with your mechanic skills!!!

i figured i didnt need to take it out and thats glad to hear that! im in no rush to take it out now. i can still ride with it broken just oil changes will take longer.......DARN! i think i have one of those ez out things but might be wrong size so ill have to go buy one. i forgot all about those things!!!! man i was bugging out and like i dont want to drop $140 on a new tank! well this is a good thing to hear. if you have any other ways of getting it out tell me. thanks im back out to working on the bike! im putting all my new goodies on and MOTOTOWN SATURDAY!

First, if you still have any of the bolt sticking out, you can use an extractor to remove what is left, I got a good 4 piece craftsman set at sears for 10 bucks. If you broke it off flush, your going to have to drill and tap, or take it to a machine shop and have them do it for you. Either way, the extractor set is a good investment, but at least its not such a major part that you can't ride.

What is this oil Tank you speak of? I have an 06 and i know the bolt you are talking about, but is that an oil tank or part of the engine case?

like above easy out or just leave it for another day and ride it.

i dont have the proper size easy out so when i bring it to the shop to get the valves checked out im stopping at the the local shop that works on my trucks and he said he would do it for me. thank god for connections in the business! now all i have to worry about is my valves and my header glowing bright red about to blow up! i hope to god i dont need to drop $400 on valves then have them installed!

i dont have the proper size easy out so when i bring it to the shop to get the valves checked out im stopping at the the local shop that works on my trucks and he said he would do it for me. thank god for connections in the business! now all i have to worry about is my valves and my header glowing bright red about to blow up! i hope to god i dont need to drop $400 on valves then have them installed!

its normal for the headers to glow red at idle.

Irwin-Hanson-Tap-Die-Super-Set.jpg

This is a tap and die set. It wont get the broken bolt out but it will fix the threads in the tank is they are messed up.

Did the bolt break when you were loosening it or tightening it? If it broke off when you were tightening it you can use an easy out to remove it. If you broke it while you were loosening it I doubt you will be able to use it. The threads are probably boogered up. Worst case is you will have to take it to a machine shop. Good luck- hope you get it out.

I never take the bolt out. Oil drains a little slower with it in, but it all does come out.

Safest way to get the bolt out is to take the tank off and take it to a machine shop.

words of wisdom.

Its just one more bolt you have to remember to tighten.?:usa:

make sure you drill the ez out hole in the exact center of the broken bolt, use a center punch and a small drill first but dont drill the small drill too deep as it may break also,at this first stage of broken fastener removal it is worth the time to center the ez out hole accurately,a left hand drill is usually the best way to first approach this problem' if you can find one, but center it carefully too so you don't run out of options , ive seen many failed attempts of broken bolt removal due to poor centering of the removal hole,the drill tends to seek the boundry of the bolt and hole with disastrous results. I have removed many broken bolts and taps from size 4-40 to 3/4 , taps require a carbide drill or end mill, but centering is always important, sometimes a broken ez out can be jarred loose but they generally require a carbide drill to remove as well, good luck!

i figured i didnt need to take it out and thats glad to hear that! im in no rush to take it out now. i can still ride with it broken just oil changes will take longer.......DARN! i think i have one of those ez out things but might be wrong size so ill have to go buy one. i forgot all about those things!!!! man i was bugging out and like i dont want to drop $140 on a new tank! well this is a good thing to hear. if you have any other ways of getting it out tell me. thanks im back out to working on the bike! im putting all my new goodies on and MOTOTOWN SATURDAY!

You think you have it bad!? lol i stripped the head of my DRAIN bolt on my husky. I didnt have the right size allen wrench so i ended up rounding the edges now i have to take off my clutch cover to get the oil out ?

a left hand drill bit is the best thing for broken bolt removal the force and heat of the reverse drilling action usually removes the bolt if not then you have a hole to insert e-z out bits are available from the eastwood co