Sign in to follow this  

New to tires

I'm 15 and Not so educated on which tire to get. I have a wr 250 2008. The rear tire is in need of a replacement. I ride mostly hills, the dirt is hard backed and sometimes soft. Any input would be helpful.

Maxxis IT works pretty good on hard pack, wears well, and is usually a lower cost option. Approx. $50.

I've been using a Bridgestone 404 on the rear of my KDX, hooks up good for me in the rocks, roots and mud here.

You might also think about a Dunlop trials tire too. They don't work too well in mud, but for anything hard or rocky, that is the way to go. Downside, in the neighborhood of $80.

I highly recommend dunlop 952 for a rear tire... It is very predictable in every situation you come across.

very effective on hardpack, but is also good at evacuting mud when it gets nasty out. The compound used is a very hard compound, so it lasts very long, this means its great for rocky terrain as well. (and if u ever have to hop on roads to get from trail to trail)

The price of this tire is also pretty competitive its probably on the lower end of the spectrum.. It used to be cheap but now its about average, i think partly because of its popularity.

I love tire post's. 952's do last long but I like the 756's but watch out they wear fast !

I can not make up my mind either...................why is it that most of the pro's use bridgestone but not that many of "us" use them ?

I am going with bridgestone this time, I have always run dunlops with great results///// hope it works out.

robert

I didn't like my 952's, I couldn't seem to get them to hook up on anything for me. A friend of mine has 756s on a 250F and they work pretty good for him. My new favorite tire is definately the Pirelli MT16, and should hook up in all conditions. If you can spend the money and can find one in your size, I'd definately go for a MT16.

i duno they used the 952 on kawasaki WORCS bikes so somebody thought they hooked up good somewhere along the line...

i avoid dunlop in general they cost to much for the quality of tire you get

a friend gave me a lightly used 756 i looked it up and its mostly for soft terrain but i ride mostly desert type hard pack ground and its like riding on marbles even with 7psi i use maxxis IT and desert IT they last a long time hook up well on everything and cost lest than a dunlop

just threw on a new 952 and some new jewelry today man i love fresh meat

why doesn't anybody run kenda's??? Everybody hates them but i bought washougals anyway because they are cheap and they are just like d756's in design but better tires in my opinion. Try them you've got nothing to lose. Just get the right ones for the terrain you ride.

I love my kenda tires. I run a buddscreek or carlsbad front and carlsbad rear. I ride mostly tight woods in PA with all types of soil conditions. the millville rears are nice but a little soft. I have never had a dunlop tire last more then 5 rides so i will not use them again. I also like the bridgestone 404/403 but they are a little bit more then the kendas. If you want a very good quality tire for a good price get the kenda

I'm stuck on Maxxis ITs (tough tire, rode with a flat and tire lived) after using Dunlops for years

Maxxis it is a nice tire,lasts forever,I run it for hard pack,rocks,single track stuff.If you are looking for a do it all tire its a good choice as it is good most everywhere,hate it in mud but i did say "most".The IRC VE 33 is a good all purpose tire also,this tire is super tough and cheap too,great traction,monster lugs and worth looking into also,it is directional so mount it right.Just a couple of ideas,i have ran both with great success! hope this helps!

me i run MT 16 rear and the scorpion pro front..

the MT 16 rear works great in all cont. it lets you slid the bike around the corner but it hooks up amazing.. its the best all around tire iver tryed to date..

I'll give you my .02, I like a Pirelli scorpion mid soft front, I like the it's mate on the rear some but not like the front.

This is for soft to mid dirt, on hard stuff they'll chunk out.

Rocks I'd get the Maxiss, they are hard and stiff.

I'm going to try a Michelin star-cross on the rear next time.

The MT16 sounds great but I can't find it in my size.

another vote for kenda washougal (I use washougal sticky's for a litte more traction) . I have tried others and found these to be by far the best price performer --and they last .

worth a try --you can find them very cheap...i find them on sale and buy a few and that will get me through the season.

I live in NC and I ride/race in all kinds of conditions (rocky, muddy, singletrack woods etc)

Make sure you use HD tubes in whatever tires you buy

another vote for kenda washougal (I use washougal sticky's for a litte more traction) . I have tried others and found these to be by far the best price performer --and they last .

worth a try --you can find them very cheap...i find them on sale and buy a few and that will get me through the season.

I live in NC and I ride/race in all kinds of conditions (rocky, muddy, singletrack woods etc)

I am running stickies too...I was sent them by accident but they are nice tires

I am running stickies too...I was sent them by accident but they are nice tires

Do the rocks tear the stickies up pretty quick?

I've always preffered to ride the Dunlop 756/952. Recently, I've dabbled a little in the Bridgestone corral. I am loving the M404. It's about $10 a tire cheaper than the Dunlops ($62 at the local dealership) and offers a lot more bite. It works great overall in most conditions, including hard. My biggest complaint is predictability during a slide. The Bridgestone likes to bite and if you put it in a slide, they seem to hook up suddenly. The Dunlops less traction, but break loose gently and hook up gently so you can really flat-track them around corners.. The M402's performed more like the Dunlops but they don't make them any more.

On the front side, I swear by Dunlop 742's and nothing else for all-around performance. I like predictability up front and no other tire seems to match. I know when the 742 is going to slide and when it's going to hook up. It might not offer the most traction but that is a trade-off I am willing to make. It also works over a very wide range of conditions leaning towards the intermediate-hard stuff.

I avoid Kenda tires, they work well in only the conditions they are designed for. My Kenda experience has been only with the Millvilles but they seem to start loosing knobs as soon as the trail throws anything other than loam at it. Even the fronts chunk and I've never seen that before.

your going to get a lot of different opionions based on experience but I have found the kenda washougal stickies to hold up well in all conditions --including rocky conditions.

I have run Dunlop and Maxxis in the past ....

you will get the occasional chunk with the kenda washougals --but then again I have chunked others as well.

try a couple of different ones and find out works best for you --that's what I did and I'm sure a lot of others did the same.

but I will reiterate whatever tire you choose --get heavy duty tubes to go inside

I have been riding a kenda millville on hard pack and some train tracks and needless to say it has been throwing some knobs off.:thumbsup: I'm going to get some Carlsbad front and rear tires and see how they hold up next,