Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding stored bike

I am going to embark on a repair/rebuild of a 2001 DRZ400 kicker that has sat in a garage for about 2 years. There was no prestorage prepwork done on teh bike other than removing the gas tank. What issues should I look for in getting it back to running?

I am going to embark on a repair/rebuild of a 2001 DRZ400 kicker that has sat in a garage for about 2 years. There was no prestorage prepwork done on teh bike other than removing the gas tank. What issues should I look for in getting it back to running?
To get it running, I'd simply drain the tank and refill with some fresh gas. Also, remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Probably worth the few extra dollars to replace the pilot jet while you have it apart. It's not likely you can successfully clean a gummed up PJ.

Once it's back together, if there are no other preexisting issues, that should get you running.

From there, I'd change the oil, coolant, brake fluid and when time permits, remove and lube the swing arm and steering head bearings.

Good luck :)

Tipsy

where did it come from? private owner? shop?

id go over it good. imho people rarely park and forget a motorcycle that is working fine

tipsy has good suggestions.

where did it come from? private owner? shop?

id go over it good. imho people rarely park and forget a motorcycle that is working fine

tipsy has good suggestions.

Tipsy, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it and will start there.

Eddie, I bought it 2 years ago from a private owner, it was running but hard to start. My work started to get busy so I sold it to a friend. He ended up just removing the tank and carb, but got busy at work/life also (same industry). So, recently I bought it back from him to give it a go.

If it is still hard to start and you think the carb is sorted out it's time to check the valve clearance. It is easy to do and you should probably add it to your list of things to do anyway.