Sign in to follow this  

2008 honda crf450x,good ?

have been looking at many 4 stroke 450's to buy, will a ktm450exc,yamaha wr450. and am looking at a 2008 honda crf450x tomorrow. is there any issues with the bikes.and are there any improvements over the 2005 model to the 08's.thanks

have been looking at many 4 stroke 450's to buy, will a ktm450exc,yamaha wr450. and am looking at a 2008 honda crf450x tomorrow. is there any issues with the bikes.and are there any improvements over the 2005 model to the 08's.thanks

Those three bikes are very different.

KTM: expensive, and very effective on every terrain.

WR: stock they are quite slow, and suspension is quite soft. Smallish.

XR: bigger bike over all, very tough, Consistent Baja winner

2008 has several fine tuning improvements over the '05, most noteably and improved gear in the tranny and improved carb tuning.

I have an '08 450X, and have spent a ton of time on an '08 WR 450. I prefer the handling, power, and build quality of the Honda. The Yamaha is decent and a fine choice, just not the best for me.

I've ridden every KTM made in recent years, and hated every one of them for their suspension and little quirks. They have their religious followers, but I'll take any Japanese bike over a KTM. Flame suit on.

I have had my 2008 450 X for about a year now and very , very pleased with it. You have to open up the air-box and exhaust a bit and re-jet but other wise I have left it stock . I only removed the rubber air- box snorkel under the seat and cut out the baffles from the stock exhaust and put in a JD jetting red needle and 165 main and she runs real nice . A slip on would be even nicer but that will come when the $ comes.

The 2008 has several changes from previous models ,smaller narrower tank, stock steering damper , 22mm triple clamps ( better turning ) , same lower fork offset as 450 R (better turning ) and lighter decompression mechanism. They also upgraded the transmission in mid 2006 to solve a lubrication problem which of course the 2008 has.

Just make sure if you rev the bike a lot that you check the valve clearances and shim if necessary. I don't rev a lot and mine are still good after one year and about 1400 miles. One more thing run at least 900 cc of oil in the transmission , the oil check hole is not accurate and the extra oil will not be a problem .

Go with the Honda the build quality is the best in the business .

:):banghead: I had the Decompression Shaft break on my '08 after only 100 mi. No trouble with the bike since it had been replaced.

thanks for the replys,and information, i went today and bought the bike 2008 honda crf450x i think i got a great deal $4500. it has a little over 20 hours on it, it came with a clarke oversize tank,rekluse pro series clutch,bullet proof radiator guards,aftermarket skid plate have'nt looked under to see which brand yet.brake snake,cycra pro bend hand guards with triple clamp mounts. suspension had just been gone through and is set up for a AA harescramble racer. i had a 2006 yamaha yz450 that i sold to buy a bike like this, a bike that can do both if need be.i ride motocross,and race harescrambles too.anyways i rode it tonight on my motocross track,and was very impressed with it ,it turns sharper and feels lighter even in the air than my 2006 yz450 and landings were no problem. i switch bikes often,but i can see me hanging on to this bike for a couple years or longer

Sounds like a great deal to me especially since it is all set up for you really. Ride the crap out of it. If you ask me, any year 450X is a great bike!!

Well done Hart92 you got a deal man ....... I understand that the set up for more aggressive riding is the next rate up in fork springs , I think 49's up from stock 47's and run the oil level at almost max with a 2.5 weight oil , I intend to do exactly this shortly as I do some Vet Moto as well .

Happy motoring.

hey guys this is my stuff,

just thowing it out there best guards period

used by many baja teams.

ask 17x or k bakker c bakker b muray

mohardracing.com