KLX 400R question

Guys, just found this on craigslist and when reading it, I'm thinking, bullshit because it's the same as the S and I'm like, he's just full of it but then I realized, this is the E version in Kawi, right?

Anyway, here's what the dude says and although I think it might be a little exaggerated, how much is true and briefly, is the E better and what's different? Just a quick description please.

"KLX400R (same bike as drz 400)---- It is the most solid and dependable bike I have ever been on. My title does not specify for off-road use so I have a tag on it and run it on the street as a Dual sport even though its the off road version, but this bike is way better than the DRZ400S (more power, better suspension, and 35 pounds lighter!,You could put 2500 dollars into the s model and it would not be this good! I put new DOT Perellie Scorpion Pro tires on it 3 month ago that perform great in the sand. You should not have any problem running it on the road in SC, not sure about NC. I may be intrested in trade for atv with automatic transmission or electric shift."

George

the $2500 statement is a bit of a stretch, but it sounds right other than that.

search S vs E

I have a kickstart only model and a SM model. the difference in power, throttle response, and weight is big.

Keeg, it doesn't say year which is typical for these advertisers on craigslist but it says 3k.

Sauger, from what I understand the forks and suspension are different and it's more dirt oriented but it does have e start, right? This would mean e and kick, right?

I mean, would this be a better buy than an s or in this case, SR for the same money considering the guy DOES have it titled?

Wouldn't that be like getting a bit better bike for the same money 'cause that's roughly what other drz's and klx's run for this year and I AM going to assume it's an 03 as most klx's that I've seen have been 03's

Sauger, from what I understand the forks and suspension are different and it's more dirt oriented but it does have e start, right? This would mean e and kick, right?

Nope. Electric and kick were not available together from the factory. It is possible to add kick to an electric start bike.

I mean, would this be a better buy than an s or in this case, SR for the same money considering the guy DOES have it titled?

Wouldn't that be like getting a bit better bike for the same money 'cause that's roughly what other drz's and klx's run for this year and I AM going to assume it's an 03 as most klx's that I've seen have been 03's

Depends how you intend to use it. It sounds like this bike does not have much, if any, of the required street equipment (for most states). Does it have turn signals, horn, high/low headlight, speedo, etc? Are these items important to you? I converted and tagged my dirt only E model but readily admit that while it meets the minimum requirements to be street legal and passes state inspection, the resulting product gives up many of the safety and convenience features of the DS model. This is not a big deal to me as it is rarely used on the street. I needed the tag to operate it in State forests.

Ok, so just e start then? What about the rest, is this a better bike than the S street legality non withstanding?

See post above, but yes I think it's a better bike, especially in the dirt. Lighter and more power (presuming it has the FCR carb and other "E" specific parts).

Guiri,

2003 is the only year the KLX 400 (SR or R) was available in the US. In Canada you could get them in both 03 and 04. I have a 2004 KLX400SR which is nothing more than a green DRZ400S.

For those years - KLX400R = DRZ400E and KLX400SR = DRZ400S

Like the E, the R has the better carb, better cams, higher compression, larger exhaust head pipe etc etc as well as about 30lbs less weight. As the other guys said, a search on E vs S will get you all the differences.

There is almost no difference in the suspension apart from spring wieght in the rear. The S/SR has a 5.5 where the E/R is a 5.3 - according the RaceTech site. The street legal models have a rear subframe and passenger pegs so a heavier spring would make sense.

If I knew then what I know now - i would have bought the R and put a DS kit on it.

the $2500 statement is a bit of a stretch, but it sounds right other than that.

search S vs E

I have a kickstart only model and a SM model. the difference in power, throttle response, and weight is big.

The $2500 statement is a huge stretch. With $2500 you can add the Thumpertalk FCR-MX carb kit, SSW Edition MRD pipe, Athena big bore kit, Hot Cams, and probably even Ron Hamp valves and springs.

Yeah, I figured the numbers were exaggerated but I was wondering about the rest because I've come to understand that the E is a better option.

Also, I've seen people here in the US advertise their bikes as 04's sometimes.

So, if this bike is in good condition, this might be a good buy then? Also, this dude is only 30-60 mins away from me and very close to one of the guys on here that could have a look at it for me IF I had the money and he still had it of course and at the same time, I would get the kawi colors which I prefer.

I'm thinking green and orange would look cool ?