Sign in to follow this  

Painting a Shock Spring???

Hey I'm restoring a 95' XR600 and I wanted to paint the rear spring to match the new color scheme. Anybody have any tips on this? I'm thinking I need a special paint that will flex without cracking. I am sandblasting the frame and other various parts...should I sandblast the spring as well?

I had the springs on my car powder coated and they have held up very well. I dont know whether paint would work or not.

I DOUBT regular paint would work cause the spring has to flex and move and paint will lickley chip and crack. if anything get them powdercoated.

I painted the shock spring on m DRZ-125 and so far the paint is fine, I used Valspar tractor and implement paint from a spray can on it.

I wouldn't think it would hold up very long with spray paint but you could always redo it every 10 hours or so.

I have painted my shock spring in the past. It handles the flexing of the spring with no problems, but rocks and other flying things eat away at it quickly and make it look like poo after a month or 2. Powder coating is the way to go for sure!

Powder coating should hold up pretty good. I would clear coat over it to give it some shine and protection. You can also take it to your local auto body shop and they can add a flex additive if you want to do a base coat clear coat.