Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild

ok so i am getting ready to rebuild my bike, first time ever. so today i drained the oil (engine), tranny oil, and coolant. then i took the shrouds off and tank. when i took the tank off, i saw that the top of the motor is really dirty, not like caked on but dust and other dirt that you cant get without taking the tank off and cleaning under there. should i clean it off with my air compressor, and with like baby wipes or wet papertowels or somthing. so far am i doing everything right? thanks guys

any way you would like.. just make sure its clean before tearing it apart.. if you use an air compressor stuff a clean rag into any places dirt can find its way into.. (coolant passages, ect)

Use air first. Before you soak down any particals. Pressure washer would be nice next. Tooth brush, cleaning detergent, brakleen, scotch-brite, elbow grease. The list goes on.

Having the motor out will make everything 10x easier. Just a few bolts away.

I suggest leaving the plug in the head until it is off.

Good luck.

i used my good old kitchen table the first time i did it.. but if your just doing a top end, you can do it in the frame as well.. just fight the frame every once in a while but either way its simple

hey just about to make my order, here on TT. i was looking at the oem gaskets for my bike, but the picture does not show up, could somone tell me which gasket/s i will need. it says gasket kit a or b so i am unsure. thanks and just for top end rebuild..

go to the Thumpertalk Offroad Parts Catalog (not oem catalog) and enter in part # 41-5060 for the cosmetic top end gasket kit.. comes with everything you will need for Thumpertalks Store price of $41.36.. not bad :)

idk i mean i would get that, but if the oem kit has the same parts i would probably get that because it says $26. only because i am on a budget..

yeap everything, best way to go so your not scrambling for gasket you forgot to order at the last second.. base and head gasket, exhaust gasket, cam chain tensioner gasket, o-ring for around the spark plug hole in the valve cover, both gaskets for the two valve cover bolts, o-ring for the access plug that you remove your rocker shaft through...possibly valve cover gasket as well.. cant remember if my last one came with one or not.. but yea has everything in general..

sorry man, im confused as to which one you were just talking about. ^^

A top-end gasket kit will come with everything he described. I have my OEM gasket kit in my hand. Cosmetic should be the same as well.

Yes, valve cover gasket as well moto_x2005.

Good luck on the build. It isn't as challenging as it sounds.

couple more questions. what is a good grease to get for rebuiding and like suspension linkages. i can only find one brand on the TT store.. and also do any of you guys lube your cables regularly? would this be worth buying if i have never lubed my cables?

couple more questions. what is a good grease to get for rebuiding and like suspension linkages. i can only find one brand on the TT store.. and also do any of you guys lube your cables regularly? would this be worth buying if i have never lubed my cables?

Either Maxima or Belray waterproof grease. You gotta have grease handy, I use it a lot. You can't lube your cables with this stuff, you need cable lube and the little lubing tool. You can probably find that at your hardware store.

ok so today i started taking stuff apart.. i took both mufflers off. i disconnected the air boot from the carb and pulled the sub frame off, followed by taking the Y exhaust off (06). then, read the manual and it said that the shock needed to be unbolted and pulled back to allow room for the carb to be removed. after i unbolted the shock i realized i screwed up bad.. i had forgotten to put the bike on my stand which caused problems because it lowered all the way down and the shock raised all the way up past where the initial bolt was supposed to go through. since this is my first rebuild, as well as the bikes.. i started to get frustrated and think that i should not have attempted to do this build on my own (compared to a shop). so then i went on to remove the carb from the head, and my dad and I decided not to remove the carb completly so we tied the carb back with string so get enough slack for when we need to remove the head, (so that we did not have to unhook the throttle cables that connect to the carb) fearing that we would not be able to adjust them to where they once were. so rebuilding it so far made me think that i am in way over my head.. let me know what you think guys, and thanks for stickin with me

Keep at it. When you're all done, you will have learned a ton and have a great sense of accomplishment.

It isn't really hard, just pay attention to what you're taking apart and where it needs to go.

you're alright, just follow the instructions to the letter. I did mine in the living room of my apartment. Keep all the bolts in marked bags, separate the shims and buckets, and take your time. There will be parts of the process that won't go as smoothly as others, but you'll get it done. You're not in over your head.

thanks for that.. but can you tell me what you think about this? I have read about how it is no good to have the bike on the side stand (triangle) when rebuilding because of the potential to have a cam chain problem? so i have it on my stand that i push down with my foot and it raises up to normal hight. so since the shock is off, the rear wheel lowers to the ground and squeezes my chain tight inbetween roller and bottom of swingarm. so now i put a peice of wood under the stand and motor and have raised the rear wheel off the ground pretty high as it would with the shock on. is this ok, and does still resemble it being on a raised stand. so that i wont have the cam chain problem? not sure if you guys will understand this, was not sure how to explain it..

thanks for that.. but can you tell me what you think about this? I have read about how it is no good to have the bike on the side stand (triangle) when rebuilding because of the potential to have a cam chain problem? so i have it on my stand that i push down with my foot and it raises up to normal hight. so since the shock is off, the rear wheel lowers to the ground and squeezes my chain tight inbetween roller and bottom of swingarm. so now i put a peice of wood under the stand and motor and have raised the rear wheel off the ground pretty high as it would with the shock on. is this ok, and does still resemble it being on a raised stand. so that i wont have the cam chain problem? not sure if you guys will understand this, was not sure how to explain it..

I had that "cam chain problem" this weekend because I pulled the cam off with the bike on the side stand. There is a little metal tab that I guess is supposed to keep the cam chain on the lower crank sprocket, but when the bike is at an angle the cam chain slides off that tab and gets hooked underneath it, so you have to pull the side cover off to get it back on.

I would definitely use that center stand, I am thinking of making one for myself. I wouldn't worry about the rear wheel hanging down, but like you said put a block of wood under it or something if you feel it might damage your chain.