Sign in to follow this  

Scotts vs GPR stabilizers?

OK, guys (and gals) I am in the market soon for a stabilizer for the 05 450X I have. I would like to hear the hits and misses of the Scotts vs the GPR. I was looking at both and I kinda like the GPR (with the oversize bar mount incorperated) but I know the Scotts is comparable. Who's got em, ridden with both, and what did you really like/dislike?

thanks,

Ryan

I have a Scotts and the nice thing about it is I can switch it out between my 2 bikes. Of course you have to have 2 mount kits but the unit itself is only held on by 2 allen bolts.I havent had the opportunity to try a GPR.

If you do a search on your exact query you will see that the question has been asked and replied to numerous times.

I have used both.

The scotts is better IMO.

why? what is the difference in prices between the both. i want the submount setup and use pro tapers already. I read some of the other threads and it is the same scotts gpr shoutouts but no real explanations as to why one is better than the other.:) PLEASE explain.

GPR works better and are cheaper but they leak so I finally decided to get a Scotts. Works pretty good but nothing like a properly functioning GPR IMHO. GPR dampens back to center and this function with some rear brake work will keep you on the bike in the death whoops.

I also have only used the scotts and like it. This is the third bike I've used the same one on. The only complaint is on the frame mount for the 450x. It was riding up after a while of riding. I solved the issue by drilling the mount in 4 places, tapping and putting some small set screws in. A friend of mine with the same bike was having the same issue, so I'm not sure if it's common or not?

GPR works better and are cheaper but they leak so I finally decided to get a Scotts. Works pretty good but nothing like a properly functioning GPR IMHO. GPR dampens back to center and this function with some rear brake work will keep you on the bike in the death whoops.

thanks for the info! is this leakage problem with GPR warranty stuff? is there a warranty difference between the 2 brands? I guess i am leanig towards the GPR cuz i can pick one up super cheap that is brand new (VR4 with sub mount) so I guess I am looking for reasons why I should spend the extra hard earned money for the Scotts?

You'll be very pleased with the V4, Ryno. I've actually only had the V2 leak. Two other GPR's (V1 versions) have worked great and not been a problem. I replaced the leaky V2 with a Scotts and I like the Scotts just fine but I prefer the performance of the GPR. Just my personal opionion right now. The Scotts is rock solid and I might learn to like it as much as the GPR over time. Can't go wrong with either one really.

If you get the GPR you cheap bastard I'll kick you in the nuts. And so will Tim. And Steve (who is the ultimate cheapskate). And...

Just so you know, Phelps is pissed that he cheaped out and bought the GPR over the Scotts for his KTM. He just figures that he should keep it since he already has it.

I bet he'd take it off his KTM and sell it to you cheap so he could get a Scotts.

Heck, you may as well go buy a Suzuki to go with the GPR if you get it.

• Like 1

Ive used 2 650R with GPR, a few XR's with Scotts and a couple of 450x with Scotts. Both of the 650 with GPR had a terrible performance at hi speed. I's say scotts all the way. Or get the new Ohlins so you'll get to call your friends cheap bastards

Most feel that the damp back to center is not ideal for a dirt application. It does make for a heavier feel at the bars all the way around.

The Scotts dirt model only dampens off center, so it is easier to turn back to center. The Motosportz (another good damper IMO) also works this way. Also, with the adjustable sweep you can set it up to be a little better for any individual application. You may not plan on it now, but I know that you will also eventually add it to your R. When (not if) you do you will want to be able to set it up a little differently. I run different settings between the bus and the Kaboom. Different chassis, different settings.

If you think that a damper that goes in both directions is good, get a Scotts for a street bike.

To me it seems pretty simple...

I think that ultimately, this sums it up right here. There is only ONE Scotts (original Ohlins) stabilizer. It has been around for a long time. GPR keeps coming out with newer designs all the time. You wouldn't happen to think this is because they seem to keep missing that little gold target that is in the center of the bullseye?

You get what you pay for. That is why you have a new Honda instead of a Suzuki, right?

Granted, the GPR isn't a Yugo. But consider the Scotts a Corvette and the GPR is just a plain old Mustang GT.

Plus if something goes wrong with your Scotts, Tim and I have all of the stuff on hand to fix it. If you get a GPR you are going to have to send it back. I am thinking of the same reason that we all run the same stuff on the bikes. The interchangeability in the middle of the night is a good thing. If something happens to your GPR (if you were to buy one) you will end up with a Scotts on there anyway since that is what will get pirated off of any other bike in the pits.

ok, thanks all (including you eastreich) i know that that this subject has been beaten to death. johnny, i have done a search and read the same ol tastes great vs less filling battles and they have not had the anwers to the questions i have (if they were in there i didn't read through all 28 pages of bs to find it). Yes, eastreich I am cheap. But it isn't my fault!!! you see my funds appropriation commitee (a.k.a) my wife is the cheap one!!! she is the one i have to convince why there is a $500 option and a $200 option that i could have. and if you are referring to swapping them out from my x to my r i really am not concered. and no i won't EVER put it on my R. it has one that works just fine for what i bought the bike for. it is my MX racer not my trail/off road racer. so thanks guys for your input and solid anwers.

ryno

Don't say that you will never put in on your R.

I once heard the comment that you would never ride a bike with handguards on it.

You are the same guy who said he'd never own a Honda and now you've got two of 'em in a full size (just as I am the same moron who said he never own a KTM and now I've got a pumpkin in the garage making a mess of the red).

Can't you just feel the love in the room? It's bro-tastic!:)

If you are thinking that you want something fairly unobtrusive (especially for your riding style and where you are going to be riding the X) you could put the Honda HPSD system on there for under $200. It isn't like you are going to be hauling across the open desert with the bike and are going to need the rock hit capability.

I am not sure that it will work with my x2 light? i wanted to put the x2 on the R for some night action in the dunes but that stupid stabilizer is in the way. :banghead: If you can do some research for me that would be great.:) and honestly i won't own the R long enough to spend the extra money for another stabilizer mount when i already have one on it from the factory and it works fine.:banghead: your just jealous of the red in my garage now. pumpkin lover!!!