Sign in to follow this  

1986 Honda XR250r valve question

Hey all,

Just found this site couple days ago and been checking things out here, seems like a great resource. Anyways, looking for advice. Here's the deal. Pretty damn inexperienced on bike work. Looking a buying a 1986 Honda XR250r for $375. Need front forks seals, but my main question is how much of a potential nightmare could the following description might be. I know its short money (cause of the wife) and I dont need another project I can't finish (cause of the wife). yada yada. Appreciate any feedback. Keith

....bike ran great, but while changing the piston and cam chain, I messed up the valves by cleaning them with polish. I think it is dried up polish keeping the valve from closing all the way. It kicks and has compression, it just won't turn over....

If the engine will not turn a complete revolution, it is very likely that the cam is out of time and the valve(s) are hitting the piston.

suppose that does make more sense than the polish or whatever crap he got inside the valves. still sounds like it may be out of my league to fix by myself, maybe?.

You can fix the cam timing yourself with a little patience. Basically it involves pulling the head cover and adjusting the cam sprocket / cam chain positions so that the flywheel mark and the cam sprocket marks are in the right positions. Just get a manual and take your time but don't be shy, you can do it. That is, if you care to. You might just decide to pass up this bike considering the wifey situation.