Sign in to follow this  

Curling clutch/brake levers ??

Has anyone tried adding some curl to a stock clutch or brake lever?

I have cut mine down to about a three finger length, but I wish they had a little curl do them.

I don't know if should add some heat to bend aluminum I'm afraid they will just crack. Anyone ??

Just crash once or twice and they'll curl on their own.

I've done this to every set I ever had. I like a 2 finger clutch. I wrap a rag around it and put it in a vice and put a little curve right before the point I will cut it off. I wack it with a rubber dead blow. Then cut it off and smooth the end. Never broken one but I don't bend it much.

If you want to be sure not to crack the aluminum, apply some heat. For some reason, they bend nicely in a fall, but they'll always break when you try to bend them intentionally.

If the lever is forged rather than cast, you'll have a better chance of bending it without it breaking. Still, a little heat in the spot you want the bend will help. Don't overdo the heat. Aluminum doesn't give much warning before it melts.

I was given a tip on another forum about bending levers. I was told to get the right amount of heat into the lever w/o melting it was to give the lever a nice coating of soot then burn it off and do the bending gently and quickly as possible

I'm going to try it with a little love from a propane torch, I think I'll start with brake lever, just in case I snap it I can still go riding....:)

coating of soot????

What is soot?

We are both from Mass. but I dont know what soot is.a

coating of soot????

What is soot?

We are both from Mass. but I dont know what soot is.a

Soot: the black gnar gnar that results from carbon deposits (i guess?) that are given off near the top of a flame. leaves a dense powdery residue. Fairly easy to wipe off.

If i was webster, that is what is how i'd define soot.

:)

what else do you call it? carbon build up?

I'm from Maine and we call it soot, never really heard anybody call it anything different