Sign in to follow this  

Hare Scramble

I'm thinking about entering a hare scramble in the first part of May. Wat exactly is a hare scramble? Is it like a lap knock out or something? and wat do i need to do to prepare? I'm already training, I've been riding a bicycle machine everyday for a week and plan to keep doin so till the race. I also work out almost everyday. It is a 60 mile race and I rode 60 miles today like I was racing and had no problem with it. I also ride almost everyday.

Keep riding, ride everyday that you can like you say... 60 miles is a long time. Your biggest enemy is going to be fatigue.

Also before the race make sure you hydrate alot, eat bananas, get potassium, etc. Mix something like an electrolyte supplement in with your water while your racing.

Cramps during and post race are the worst.. I always get cramps after the race is over.. my legs lock up tight for 10 minutes a piece and I swear it feels like if I even budge them my thigh muscle will snap.

Yeah, in a nutshell that's what it is. A 2+ hrs. race on a 5-12 mile trail/track

through the woods and you just get as many laps as you can till you see the

checkered. In our area they read a bar code on your helmet each lap that

gives you a read out on what position you're in and how far behind in seconds

you are from the rider ahead of you in your class.(very helpful)

I would suggest you go out and just watch one first. Try to observe and

absorb as much as you can. Things like- the gear,bike set up,starts,riding

lines,etc. whatever you think will help you be more prepared and familiar with

it all. Then enter and join the fun! I still learn a trick or two about every race

and some of the details can make it a lot more enjoyable and help you get a

better finish.

Sounds like you'll be ready physically. Good luck.:)

I did my first Hare Scramble on a bike setup for MX,I got beatup by the stiff suspension but didn't do half bad.I've been racing them now for four years and they are the best bang for your buck.

A+ with everything they said with hydration and nutrition.

Double check every major bolt on the bike and fluids before the race.If you think it's gonna be a dusty race use a PC Racing filter skin with the pull string.I always have someone in the pits with tools w/spare parts,goggles,gloves,fuel and water just in case (I don't beleive in Bike induced DNF's lol).

Practice dead engine starts,Here in California every race is Dead engine and it varies,somtimes it's hands on helmet,Le Mans style,Straddle front wheel and stand beside bike.

One key thing read the rules for your AMA district.My first year I got stuck behind a pileup on a single track and it cost me a few minutes time.I later found out that there is a 50 foot rule in my district.If there is an obstruction on the race course you can deviate up to 50 feet from designated course to get around it.

Have fun!!

Good luck with the Hare Scrambles. I'm thinking of entering some as well. Used to race enduro and MX, but figure itshould be a blast to ride as fast as you can instead of on a schedule.

Regards,

BG

Another thing that I failed to mention, but it may be obvious.. make sure you have tires with fresh sharp edges on race day. I find it to be real important.

Most people will have em, some people wont, i highly recommend it. I have made the mistake of not having them, and it rained, and it sucked, bad.