Sign in to follow this  

vapor on an 83 xl600?

Has anybody put a vapor on their xl600? I'd rather go that route than the ebay route buying a new (used) speedo. Anybody know if the xr600 vapor will fit the xl 600? Thanks in advance for the input.

I tried to find an electronic speedo for my '88 xr 600r, but couldn't find a sensor for anything older than a '95. I ended up getting a mechanical speedo from baja designs. It's compact, has a trip meter as well as an odometer, and it has back lighting for nightime use. I'm very happy with it.

On trailtech's website they have one for an XR600r all years, so would that be the same for an XL600r? I am interested in this also, mostly becuase I really want a tachometer on the bike though. But it doesn't seem like it would be hard to set one of these up.

That was my curiosity as well efretwell. I would like the tach and engine temp features but wasn't sure if the xr would fit. It seems like it should but I'm not sure I want to test that theory with my money. So hopefully somebody has tried this.

I put a trailtech vapor on my sv and they are very easy to install. It should install pretty easily...there isnt much too it

If the XR600r speed sense doesn't fit I believe there are generic ones, I might be tempted to try this soon, and a phone call to trailtech might be required. It would be great to confirm with someone who has installed it on an XL600 though, but I might end up doing it in the next month anyways, lol.

I know this thread has been dead for years, but instead of stuffing up the forum with another thread i decided to post on this.  Looking into Vapor tach and computer kit and was wondering if anyone has done this.  Looking at Motorcycle Superstore they have one for xl600r just wondering if anyone has looked into this. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13568543/d/1986-honda-xl600r-trail-tech-gauges

Thanks

Yes it fits, the speedo sensor cable is a bit long for the XL but can be shortened if you want too, but isn't necessary. There are several ways to mount the speed sensor on the brake caliper mount, just need to test fit first to find the ideal spot. Tach sensor wraps around plug wire, no issues. Head temp sensor mounts under spark plug, or you can get a 10mm wire end and mount to cylinder head bolt. The Xr kit should come with the 12 mm sensor.

I've got 3 Vapors, one on my 650L, one on my 650R and the last on my Xl 600 RM.

Fingers thanks.  Something i def want to add as my speedometer has broke its needle.  Guess it didn't like the whoops i was going over before my tear down.  Hit a couple hundred foot whoop section on the ride home from work and got home and noticed my needle was broke.

THanks for the update.

Hit a couple hundred foot section of whoops on the way home from work? Freakin sweet.

Edited by mr. claws

Yes it fits, the speedo sensor cable is a bit long for the XL but can be shortened if you want too, but isn't necessary. There are several ways to mount the speed sensor on the brake caliper mount, just need to test fit first to find the ideal spot. Tach sensor wraps around plug wire, no issues. Head temp sensor mounts under spark plug, or you can get a 10mm wire end and mount to cylinder head bolt. The Xr kit should come with the 12 mm sensor.

I've got 3 Vapors, one on my 650L, one on my 650R and the last on my Xl 600 RM.

it will fit without issues. you have to program front wheel diameter regardless of what bike it is so the speedo is accurate. measure again with a lot of wear or changing tire size or brand to keep it accurate. 

Ya I have the endurance 2 on my 87 xr600r works great! I did have a problem with the wheel sensor called up trail tech then sent me a new one! I was still under the one year factory warranty! my 87 had a speedometer from the factory and it stopped working on me So I got the trail tech endurance 2 since I didn't need all the extra functions the vapor had