Sign in to follow this  

Truing Wheels

Today I was out tightening the spokes on my bikes when I realized that no good deed gos unpunished. I had just read about the importants of keeping your spokes tight but what i had failed to realize that improper "dicking" with tire spokes can throw your alignment into total whack. I spun the tire and sure enough wobble wobble wobble :):banghead:. I went online a bought a PARK TOOL WHEEL TRUING STAND for a hundred bucks. My question is HOW DO YOU TRUE A WHEEL?

go ahead and do a seach on here. There are are a lot of good resources. I wanted to learn how to do this same thing last summer and this place was my only source of information. Less than a year later i have built and trued 4 or 5 sets of wheels all with good results.

The biggest thigns to remember are to to have the right tools, be patient, take breaks if you get sick of doing it, and remember that it is an art and not a science. It will take some time to do but once you master it its well worth the learning curve.

As far as tools go you are on the right track with the trueing stand. You will also need to get a dial indicator (if your stand doesnt come with one) as well as a spoke torque wrench (this is a definite must..even if its a cheap one!).

good luck man

oww that sucks dude you dident need a trueing stand at all, all you need to do is tape a pen in the swing arm (rear wheel) or fork gaurd (front wheel) and true with that, worked fine with me when i installed my new spokes, but anyway go the technical forms and there is something in there about lacing/trueing

Thanks for all your help. I should have did some searching befor posting but what ever no harm no fowl. I found a bicycle repair boke from my mountian bike racing days and looked it up. As for the the pen on the swing arm/fork thats a good idea, but I have a bunch of bikes and a bunch of wheels to true so the truing stand will make it less pain staking "I hope." :)

I don't mean to thread jack here, but I am building up a set of wheels and in my manual is says I should torque the spokes to 2.2ft pounds, that seems a bit on the weak side to me. What have you guys used as a torque setting?

For me I ussually pay the $30.00 to have a pro true my wheels. lacing wheels is not easy and when torqueing/tightening spokes don't just go one by one. There is actually a method. Remember everything on a bike has to be done in a certain order otherwise you make more work for yourself or risk even more damage. I would bring your wheel to a local MX shop and see if they have anyone that can help you.

A Fasst Company spoke torque wrench is probaly one of the best investments I have made as far as tools go. You have just got to make sure that you are using it the right way. The way you tighten spokes is to start next to the valve or rim lock and tighten that spoke a quater of a turn or until the wrench clicks. then you go three spokes over from that and repeat, repeating the same thing every third spoke around the wheel making sure not to go past a quater turn. When you come back to the spoke you started at go to the next one and repeat the process I wrote above. After you come back around to that second spoke go to the third and repeat the process for a full rotation. After you are done with a full rotation starting from the third spoke you can start the whole process over again from the first soke. Keep in mind that you should be only tightening 12 spokes on every rotation. This doesn't take long and you should be doing it before everytime you ride.

wow $30 for truing? thats a deal right there, shops around here charge $75. You dont really need a tourqe wrench, nothing will happen if you dont use one, ive never used one and my wheels arent falling apart. just tighten them to feel.

just search it on the forums here really good link and info. You will get very mad your first time and probably your second time and it will take a long time for a first timer

wow $30 for truing? thats a deal right there, shops around here charge $75. You dont really need a tourqe wrench, nothing will happen if you dont use one, ive never used one and my wheels arent falling apart. just tighten them to feel.

just search it on the forums here really good link and info. You will get very mad your first time and probably your second time and it will take a long time for a first timer

I don't use a torque wrench either. I tighten them til they "ping" and all look similar. I put the tire on and spin it and haven't had an issue yet....:)

i think people make this way harder than it is...lacing is super easy, truing just takes patience, you dont need a truing stand or a torque wrench, just get your parts and do it!

I agree with berm saw, lacing is really easy if you pay attention to the pattern, and truing is easy as well just takes awhile. I just tightened them until they were tight, if they feel loose...then they are. I don't think there is such thing as too tight unless you break one haha.

there is a thing as too tight, I had a MTB wheel collapse on me during assembly due to being overzealous with the spoke wrench.

Can't see that happening with an MX rim but I can see overstressing the spoke holes and then pulling out mid moto.

Your manufacturer will know the correct tension (torque on the spoke nipples) and I would stick with that. the alternate method that I use is the pluck or strike method. Usually albeit the torque may be different the front and rear spokes should be of similar tension so plucking them will produce a sound, replicate this plucked sound and bingo you have a tensioned wheel.

Equal tension is more important than a 100% true wheel as it will be stronger, I of course aim for true (both radial and lateral) with even tension. the best book ever is by Jobst Branst called the bicycle wheel but here is a link to sheldon browns (looks the same) wheel building page http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html read it ,study it and don't mix up your spokes

good luck and welcome to the voodoo world of wheelbuilding