Sign in to follow this  

1986 Tt350

The kick start just arrived, new plug installed (gapped to 7), new fuel, new oil, carb(s) cleaned - no plugging - installed. New air filter. Won't start. There is compression (I have to use the compression release lever to kick it over), the bike will backfire if I spray starter fluid into the air box but won't catch and run. I have spark - plug held close to engine cooling fin and cranked, sparks with no problem. Carbs are getting gas, I opened drain plug to make sure. The 'boots' between the carbs and engine have a couple of cracks - would these prevent the enging from starting? I have some on order and know the problems they could cause IF the bike was running, but I thought the bike would at least catch and run a little even with the cracks. Any thoughts or have a missed a hidden topic on this? Thanks in advance.

Cracks lean the mixture, so it is possible it makes the bike difficult to start.

Leaky boots will definatly do it. If they leak bad enough, there won't be enough vacuum to draw the charge into the cylinder. You could use some gasket sealer to plug the cracks up just to get it started, but I wouldn't let it run for long that way.

I'd wait for the new boots.

I was just emailed that the 'boots' I ordered are on back order. Does anyone have a mod they use to replace these hen's teeth? I've seen some made on a forum, I just can't remember where. The owner used clear tubing and clamps and I'm trying to track the thread down.

some one posted that in here somewhere. might be in the dual sport or vintage section.