99 TE610 needs a new cam

I've got a 99 TE610 that's set up mostly for Supermoto use. It was low on oil when I bought it and I didn't think to check before riding it home, so it ended up getting run very low on oil. Since then I've changed the oil maybe half a dozen times in a few hundred miles and have been finding a fair bit of metal shavings in the oil each time, but I can't be sure that they're new as opposed to still flushing everything out.

It's been tapping a bit from the top end, but no odd bottom end noises.

I pulled the cam cover off and sure enough, the cam is visibly worn. The lifters appear to be in good condition though. For a bike that sees mostly street supermoto use and a little bit of other use (occasional trails and dunes, but MUCH more SuMo), would you recommend going with a stock cam or is there another one that would work better? About how much would each option cost? Anything else have to be replaced with a hotter cam?

Also... how do I actually pull the cam? CCT is out and yet the chain still isn't slack enough for me to pull off the sprocket.

thanks for any help ?

I've got a 99 TE610 that's set up mostly for Supermoto use. It was low on oil when I bought it and I didn't think to check before riding it home, so it ended up getting run very low on oil. Since then I've changed the oil maybe half a dozen times in a few hundred miles and have been finding a fair bit of metal shavings in the oil each time, but I can't be sure that they're new as opposed to still flushing everything out.

It's been tapping a bit from the top end, but no odd bottom end noises.

I pulled the cam cover off and sure enough, the cam is visibly worn. The lifters appear to be in good condition though. For a bike that sees mostly street supermoto use and a little bit of other use (occasional trails and dunes, but MUCH more SuMo), would you recommend going with a stock cam or is there another one that would work better? About how much would each option cost? Anything else have to be replaced with a hotter cam?

Also... how do I actually pull the cam? CCT is out and yet the chain still isn't slack enough for me to pull off the sprocket.

thanks for any help :banghead:

Have you tried hooking up a Swedish Logging Chain to the back of yr truck and.......?

...seriously, no help here as I no longer have my 4-stroke manuals, and while I did perform mucho mnx on my 90s TE Bikes, the cam pull was not necessary....thank god!

If yours is like mine, there is a master link in the chain to undo it and lift cam out. the cam lifts out of its resting place with the bearings still on it. My overhaul thread has photographs of me doing this very operation.

It sounds to me like you have more wear issues than just the cam. If you had low oil problems, other parts probably wore too. I would be more worried about bearings but that's just me.

I hope you have very good luck with the repairs.

~Tator

I think pulling the head is a great idea and it's easy since you're already in there. My thread has pictures of all that stuff (I sound like a broken record).

You would be smart to give 'er a quick check up instead of putting a rod through the case when you're 100 miles from home.