Sign in to follow this  

Boot Recomendation?

What kind of boots do ya'll recommend? I am a beginner (but gettin' better and lovin' it all the time!!) and haven't done much challenging stuff yet. I've looked at boots locally but figure I'll have to order them online. I'm thinking I want the boots that look more like a tennis shoe on the bottom, as they look flexible. But, being that I have no idea what I'm even looking for, I'd love to hear ya'lls suggestions. THANKS!

Flexibility is not what you want in an MX boot. There are many good choices, but I will recommend one NOT to buy, and it is because they are too flexible IMHO, easily allowing injury. I learned this first hand unfortunately. I would recommend against O'Neal Elements.

Buy the best you can afford; even the high-end O'Neals will work, just avoid the Elements. Their price will make them attractive.

BTW - the design of the soles are for different types of riding. The less aggressive tread is for MX, where you don't want the boot to catch or drag on the dirt. The more aggressive treads (like a hiking boot) are usually intended for ATV or dual-sport use.

I prefer the MX tread, even when I ride dual sport.

Yeah I have the tech 3's and they are awesome. They have already saved my ankle once.

Good luck:thumbsup:

I really like my Gaerne SG-10. A bit pricey but I always look for a boot with an articulating ankle. These have saved my ankles a few times :) I think looking for a boot depends on the riding you will be doing too. Boots are one thing I don't worry about price on. I'd rather have a really good boot than risk an injury.

I had the Alpinestars Tech 4S's because when I started riding I was recovering from an ankle / leg break and could not handle anything more stiff in the ankle. Now I have Stella Tech 6's and can really feel the difference. Tech 4s's are an OK boot, but if you really want to protect your ankles / legs, step up - if / when you crash, you will be glad you did. The Tech 3 Stella's I would be a great in between boot.

It is my opinion, when it comes to boots, buy the best boot you can.

Our local Cycle Gear has Tech 6 Stellas on sale for the same price as the Tech 3's. Might be worth checking your local CG if you have one. I bought a pair for my wife this past weekend.

I own Tech 3's as well as Tech 6's and prefer the fit if the Tech 6's.

Boots are like a good helmet - don't skimp in this department and you have to go try some on, even if you buy online later. Good ankle support is mandatory, but it also has to fit your calf - if you are like many women, this is likely to be a fit-issue. So try on a bunch. Yes, they are going to be stiff, but they need to be. As long as you can articulate it to shift and brake comfortably. I prefer the SIDIs, but that's just me.

Also, they sell 'footbeds' /insoles to make them more comfortable (read: arch support) and it's good for taking up any excess room, if they feel a bit loose or boxey. I think those were like $20 or so. It's a nice addition to the boots.

And who knows, you may just find the right fit/model/price at the local shop - so you give that guy some business, too. There are some good sales out there and then you don't have the shipping issue. Good Luck, but don't just buy from what is said here, you have to try them on.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have tried on a couple of boots at the 2 local places in town. That's the problem - there are only 2 places in town and they don't have a big selection, especially in my size.

Speaking of size - do most boots run small, large, true-to-size, or does it depend on the maker?

I would qualify as the "occasional" rider. From what I read above, I want something stiff, but that allows shifting and braking, and with a good fit to protect my legs. I wish there were some kind of super store where you could go try this kind of stuff on!

If they fit they should all allow shifting and braking, just don't expect them to feel as limber as a regular shoe.

Most seem to run true to size, but I had two pair of Fox Trackers that ran on the small side. Needed a full size larger for them to be comfortable.

If they fit they should all allow shifting and braking, just don't expect them to feel as limber as a regular shoe.

Most seem to run true to size, but I had two pair of Fox Trackers that ran on the small side. Needed a full size larger for them to be comfortable.

I don't' know about you bronc but my wife and kids had FOX boots and the buckles were terrible. Now I will say all I had to do is explain this to the dealer and they gave us replacements no question asked. Like you said, they also noticed the fit was a bit snug.

I bought my daughter a pair of Thor boots (not sure which model) and she and my wife both like them quite a bit and the buckles are much easier to fasten and haven't fallen off or broken.

Hubby just walked in the door with my new Alpinestar Tech 4's. I tried them on this past Sunday & loved them so he picked them up for me today. I started out with a pair of O'Neal Elements. I was a beginner & I wasn't sure which boot was going to work for me. Turns out that the Elements did NOT. They are so stiff & hard to walk in. I had a hard time in the woods with them after I fell over. I couldn't get a good footing on hills & they were just impossible to maneuver in. Everyone that I've talked to has recommended the Alpinestar's or the Thor's. Oh & for the sizing I wear a 6 1/2 in tennis shoes & the Tech 4's I have are a size 5. The 6 was way to big. Hope this helps. Good luck deciding on a pair. :)

I have tech 7's an they were a little spendy but my boots still feel brand new. i love the support they give on my ankle. I seperated my tib an fib, and i think they support it well.I had fly's stingers and i thought they stunk and felt worn out asap

i have tech 3's also and i like em.

when you first get your boots they are gonna feel weird and you are gonna wonder hth you can ride.

get em wet then walk/jump around/ride in em and they'll break in faster.

cheers

Definitely take a look at the Sidi Crossfires. They are pricey for sure, but worth every penny. I bought a pair just a few months ago (was in Alpinestare Tech6 previously) and the Sidi's are by far the most comfortable, protective, easiest buckles to use boot I have ever worn.

The pivot system gives you more flexibility in ankle movements without sacrificing protection. Good luck!

For anyone this might help: bikebandit.com has A*'s tech 6 still in size 5 (around 7 for ladies) for $85. That's a great price if they will fit you. I wish they had my size!