Sign in to follow this  

Good air filter oil?

Hello, was just wondering what kind of air filter oil is a good brand, or what do you guys use? Also, I haven't used tried it yet, but does Marvel's Mystery Oil work?

Thanks for the help :)

I use PJ1 Oil and cleaner, best stuff ever. Don't use marvel.

NoToil for the air filter. :)

The only thing I've heard about Marvel's Mystery Oil is adding 2 ounces of it to 5 gallons of gas (I think.) It helps lube the valves from what I understand. Haven't used it myself.

I have used about everything you can think of, and the one that I feel works the best for me is Maxima Fab1. Never have any dust in my airbox boot and it stays tacky even when saturated with water! :)

I like bel-ray the best, but Maxima FFT is a close second. Don't use Marvel on your air filter!

No-Toil Oil and Cleaner has my vote.

Marvel will not work as a filter oil. It's not tacky enough and it will slowly drain off of the filter.

Okay thanks everyone for the fast replies, and for warning me about using the marvel oil.

Can I get these oils at a regular motorcycle shop, or only online? Also, for putting the grease at the lip of the filter, by grease do you mean just the regular air filter oil?

Thanks everyone :)

Your local dealer should carry them. They make an air filter grease especially for that purpose, I do not believe it is necessary, some extra air filter in that area should create a good seal.

Okay thanks everyone for the fast replies, and for warning me about using the marvel oil.

Can I get these oils at a regular motorcycle shop, or only online? Also, for putting the grease at the lip of the filter, by grease do you mean just the regular air filter oil?

Thanks everyone :)

Any motorcycle shop should have air filter oil (though some never cease to amaze me). It is not necessary to grease the lip of the filter as long as you oil the filter well, but if you want to grease it you can just use any chassis grease.

Any motorcycle shop should have air filter oil (though some never cease to amaze me). It is not necessary to grease the lip of the filter as long as you oil the filter well, but if you want to grease it you can just use any chassis grease.

Glad to hear you don't use grease either. I'm new to the 4t world, and actually considered doing this for extra protection. I always thought it was a useless step on my 2t, as the cage squeezes tight against the airbox with the filter in the middle. Maybe this makes sense on some different setups (like my friends Banshee where the filter just sort of "drops in" to place and hopefully seals).

Also, I see you like Bel-Ray filter oil... I assume you have tried others. You feel this gives the best protection? I switched to Silkolene, as out of the bottle it has viscosity similar to water, then the carrier evaporates leaving the stickiest filter I've ever seen. The low viscosity as poured on reduces over-oiling, whhich I used to worry about with Bel-Ray.

Glad to hear you don't use grease either. I'm new to the 4t world, and actually considered doing this for extra protection. I always thought it was a useless step on my 2t, as the cage squeezes tight against the airbox with the filter in the middle. Maybe this makes sense on some different setups (like my friends Banshee where the filter just sort of "drops in" to place and hopefully seals).

Also, I see you like Bel-Ray filter oil... I assume you have tried others. You feel this gives the best protection? I switched to Silkolene, as out of the bottle it has viscosity similar to water, then the carrier evaporates leaving the stickiest filter I've ever seen. The low viscosity as poured on reduces over-oiling, whhich I used to worry about with Bel-Ray.

If the filter has a rubber lip where it contacts the airbox, it is sometimes better to grease that seal for safety. If the filter is completely foam then oil is enough to make a great seal.

The Maxima FFT oil is similar to the Silkolene in that it is very thin right out of the bottle. My only complaint with this type is it runs right through the filter before you have time to work it around, so it is easy to waste a lot of oil this way. The bel-ray is a tad thicker out of the bottle, so you can put it on the filter, and then work it around without it just running right through the filter to the ground. The down side is that it is easier to over oil the filter with bel-ray, but as long as you squeeze it when you are done it is still thin enough to push the extra oil out and drip it off.