Sign in to follow this  

1989 CR250R engine Removal

Hey,

I just got a part for my bike and found out that you had to take the engine out of the frame to get at it and work on it properly. I saw that the engine was connected in three major places: 1) The Head 2) The Front and 3) Through the swingarm in back. I can get the first two off, but I seem to be getting stuck on the bolt that goes through the crankcase and the swingarm. Ive tried tapping away at it with a hammer with no results, and Ive also tried suing an impact driver to maybe loosen it up? any help would be greatly appreciated.

VERY common problem on the old CRs. Wish I had a positive answer for you. I had one which would not budge no matter what I did! Even a sledge hammer wouldn't budge it (don't fret, it was a parts bike anyways) I ended up cutting the bolt between the swingarm, and frame. If the bike never had the motor or suspension removed and that bolt cleaned and greased every once in a while, or the bike just left sitting for a long time ,what happens is that the 2 different metels (aluminum and steel) re-act with one another, and over time end up welding themselves together. I tried soaking it with penetrant, using heat and nothing seemed to work. I have read other threads about this problem as well. maybe someone else has had this problem as well, and has found a solution.

Cut it like he said . You might drive yourself nutty and ruin something trying to get it out any other way . The bike I am restoring ( 1980 YZ250 ) had same issues with rear shock to swingarm bolt and we finally used a chop saw on the devil. I suggest BOTH sides of the engine cases cut the bolt so it is going to be very obvious exactly where the corrosion is holding up the movement. And after the engine can come out you will either torch the remaining middle section till it can slide or it may be the swingarm STILL wont come out but I doubt that. Plan on new swingarm bushings and bolt. 88 and 89 same part I bet . I had a 88. Fun bike that went through the spark plugs hehehe

after reading killers post more I have to clarify , it would be best to do the cutting between frame and swing arm and at the engine cases if there was room to.