Sign in to follow this  

catch can?

What is the purpose of these? Does it catch coolant? Since i installed a full exhaust on my wr450sm it leaks a dash of coolant every now and than. I noticed coolant everywhere when ppl do big burouts on their wr's. Is this from overheating?

There are different types of catch cans. Some are designed for the carburetor while other are for the coolant system and still other are for the engine crankcase beather hoses.

A properly designed coolant catch tank (like the one made by APA), not only catches any coolant that would leak out from high temperatures, but as the coolant system cools off, the coolant gets returned to the radiator.

And to answer your other questions, that is exactly what is happening to those other people on their bikes when they are doing a burnout. Without cooling fans like street bikes have, there is no air moving through your radiator while doing a burnout which leads to them heating up very fast under a heavy load like a burnout.

That said, I was under the impression that all WR's came stock with a coolant recovery tank from the factory. It was originally installed behind the left side number plate on the bikes I have looked at in person.

yea my bike has the overflow bottle on it from the factory. My bike has leaked coolant from the drilled hole on the coolant pump(bleed hole?) when i fired it up in my garage to hear the exhaust. Could lean jetting cause it from getting hot at just idle?

that hole that's leaking is called the tell-tale hole, helps let you know of issues.

if it leaks coolant, you need a new mechanical seal for the water pump.

if it leaks oil, you need a new oil seal behind the water pump.

cheap parts, not too much of a big deal to fix.

When rebuilding the water pump its best to always replace both seals, the bearing and the shaft. A worn bearing can let the shaft wobble and leak. The shaft often gets a worn ring around it.

Make sure you look closely at the way the seals are installed before removing them. The direction they are facing is not the same for both.