Sign in to follow this  

Help me rewind my stator

I'm rewinding the stator on my DRZ-125 and since I have gotten no good replies in the DRZ forum I decided to put this in the general section where more people go. So I know I need to get some 18 gauge magnet wire and a big capacitor, where can I get these two items? Also I'm going to use some JB weld for the epoxy since I have heard it works fine unless I can find some better epoxy relatively cheap. Do you think I can fit 300 windings of wire on to this stator? It has three empty poles available for lighting. Do I have to hit the magic number of 300 or will 250 work? I read this article and it helped a lot. Also do I need a special kind of wire coming off the stator and out of the engine, if so where can I get some? thanks for the help and here is a picture of the stator in question.

000_0557.jpg

I think this capacitor will work, its the same as the trail tech but $9 cheaper. Also where can I get the trail tech regulator/rectifier?

capacitor

You don't need to hit 300, but generally, more is better. Wind the first post and see what you get. You'll get what you get. Wind it tight and as neatly layered as you can do.

That sounds like a good price for the wire.

I have several links to excellent wind-it-yourself sites, but they're favorites on my office computer. I'll post 'em tomorrow for ya. Couple Honda 50s and a Honda 100. Very well done references.

Kirk

Thanks for the help, so 300 isn't a magic number just a target. When I get the wire I'll see how many turns will fit on one pole. I have a pretty good understanding of electricity but since I have never done this before I am a little clueless what to aim for. Bajadesigns says they can get 110w out of this stator so I should be able to come close. Also am I better off buying the regulator and capacitor straight from trail tech or finding another distributor? Also I plan on using an Acerbis DHH headlight, is it any good?