Sign in to follow this  

Clutch problem *WITH VIDEO* to show everything

Ok,

here is the same clutch problem i was having before, but now i decided to make a video of it all. What it's doing and i took off the plate to show what's wrong ect. Hopefully this vid will give you enough details of what's wrong.

Thanks again.

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/cr85xpert/?action=view&current=BIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_0001.flv

MX bikes don't roll in gear with the clutch pulled in, I got a new clutch assembly, basket and all and still no roll in gear. Nothing to worry about

• Like 1

MX bikes don't roll in gear with the clutch pulled in, I got a new clutch assembly, basket and all and still no roll in gear. Nothing to worry about

really? so when i start her up, then put her in gear , it wont just take off?

thanks

i dont know a whole lot about the clutch but how does the clutch basket look? do the fingers have groves in them that would cause it to stick with the cluch pulled in.

• Like 1

i dont know a whole lot about the clutch but how does the clutch basket look? do the fingers have groves in them that would cause it to stick with the cluch pulled in.

yea, when i replaced the plates and springs i checked out the basket ect. and everything looked decent. Wasnt in "new" condition, but there werent any gashes or chips.

also i have a cr250 that in gear clutch pulled in engine running its hard to push but running it is fine and i even start it in gear with clutch in and its fine i would try that first just not in the garage incase it takes off...

• Like 1

also i have a cr250 that in gear clutch pulled in engine running its hard to push but running it is fine and i even start it in gear with clutch in and its fine i would try that first just not in the garage incase it takes off...

alright, thanks for the advice. I guess tomorrow will be trial #1, to see what happends.

Thanks.

Its fine my two stroke has always been like that, it starts and idles in gear though.

• Like 1

Its fine my two stroke has always been like that, it starts and idles in gear though.

I never heard of that. Ill see if my 125 does it tomorrow.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell from the video, but are parts #11 and 12 from the diagram there to mesh with the teeth on the pivot shaft?

1247_clutch.gif

• Like 1

It's hard to tell from the video, but are parts #11 and 12 from the diagram there to mesh with the teeth on the pivot shaft?

1247_clutch.gif

umm....yea it meets the pivot shaft and like "binds" with it? yet it is loose as heck, which im not sure is normal or not

Wow that is really funny because I just noticed this on my bike 2003 CR250 (just bought it). It does the same thing!

This bike is new out of the crate with maybe 10 hours on it. I thought for a second something was messed up...

• Like 1

umm....yea it meets the pivot shaft and like "binds" with it? yet it is loose as heck, which im not sure is normal or not

The way the clutch works is that when the rod pivots the teeth grab the teeth of #11 and pull it towards the clutch cover, which in turn pulls the pressure plate out, taking the pressure off of the clutch plates and allowing them to slip past each other. #12 is a bearing since the pressure plate is spinning and #11 is not. Make sure all of those parts are there and that the teeth of each part are meshing.

• Like 1

All wet clutches have their plates stick together when they are COLD. Once a bike is hot you should be able to push it around in 2nd or 3rd gear. There is quite a bit of drag between the clutch and the transmission when cold and still some when it is hot. The next time you warm your bike up to go riding, before you put it in gear try this; pull the clutch in and quickly rev the bike (blip the throttle)1-2 times then let the rpm come all the way down before putting it in gear. This breaks loose the plates and puts less strain on 1st gear and clutch hubs.

• Like 2

All our 2 strokes do the same thing. We only ride trails and also find that at times the clutch cable will have to be adjusted depending on how hot everything gets.

I could get through a nasty hillclimb and be slipping like crazy and heating the bike up and lose a little clutch at the lever, then stop and rest at a trail section, and have to adjust the lever back so I'm not riding it before I start the bike back up again.

Also some bikes are toucher than others when it comes to lurching when put into gear which can suck. If that happens to you I suggest you deal with it and get ready to jump on the bike and go. Don't make a newbie mistake and adjust your clutch cable so tight that you are riding the clutch.

I have seen that vary on bikes, also depending on if the bike is warmed up. And that does not mean that you have grooves in any baskets as I have seen it happen on new installs. I guess there could be a combination of factors like type of clutch plates and oil. Maybe even quality of clutch cables?

• Like 1

when I first pulled my bike out of storage this spring, I ended up trying to roll start it and found out it wouldn't roll with it in gear and lever pulled in. I just attributed it to them having kinda set into eachother and not moved for awhile. I dont know if it does it normally becuase I never push it without being in nuetral anyway, and I dont notice an unessesary lurch when I put it into gear.

• Like 1

2 type of plates in your clutch, one is fiber, the other is metal.

The fiber plates turn with the basket, witch is turned by the crank. The metal plates turn with the hub, that turns the trans. There is a pressure plate that pushes the plates together so the crank and trans turns together, the clutch lever pushes the pressure plate out so the plates pull apart and the crank can spin without the trans.

So when the bike wont roll with the clutch in, the metal and fiber plate are stuck together. Oil keeps this from happening, so when your bike sits for time (just overnight) enough of the oil runs off the plates so they stick together. When you start your bike the plates will be lubed with oil and roll in gear again.

• Like 2

2 type of plates in your clutch, one is fiber, the other is metal.

The fiber plates turn with the basket, witch is turned by the crank. The metal plates turn with the hub, that turns the trans. There is a pressure plate that pushes the plates together so the crank and trans turns together, the clutch lever pushes the pressure plate out so the plates pull apart and the crank can spin without the trans.

So when the bike wont roll with the clutch in, the metal and fiber plate are stuck together. Oil keeps this from happening, so when your bike sits for time (just overnight) enough of the oil runs off the plates so they stick together. When you start your bike the plates will be lubed with oil and roll in gear again.

ah gotcha, yea my bike has been sitting for 5 months =/. There were so many other things wrong with it. Thanks for the reply,it helps.

I'll try and start it up today, let it warm up and all, then try puttin it in gear.

Thanks again.