Sign in to follow this  

STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Oil

Hey guys,

I've been using this oil after my engine rebuild and have been really happy with it. It seems to run just as well as all the other oils that I have tried over the years. The Stihl HP Ultra is a full synthetic oil, and is about 4 bucks for 6 ounces. Have any of you ever ran this type of chainsaw/weed whacker oil in your bike before? It's all I use to use years ago (the non-synthetic kind) and never had a problem. I figured I'd try it in the bike for a reason that my STIHL dealer told me about, and I wanted to verify if any of you have heard this before. He said that if you take a brand new weed whacker, and run this HP ultra synthetic, that after about 5 hours of use that the STIHL manufacturer has proven that the engine has gained horsepower. Not alot, but some. So i figured same could be true for a 2-stroke bike engine? How would I be able to prove this (since I don't own a dyno machine)? Again, my bike runs awesome after about 5 hours of riding with the fresh rebuild, but i'm wondering if this is not a good idea for the long term. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/knowhow/producttechnics/betriebsstoffe-zubehoer/betriebsstoffe/hpultra/default.htm

(By the way i run about 40:1 mix)

The Stihl oil is probably fine, but why not just use a good bike oil? You can get Maxima Super M from the ThumperTalk Store for $7 for 16oz, so it's cheaper too. It's not full synthetic, but it is great oil. I use saw oil in my Stihl, and bike oil in my bike.

Its probably good oil, but costly. I think you can do just as well and save a fw bucks.

My number one for any of the two strokes I have to hold is the oil must smell good. Screw protection. Strawberry scent is second, but a nice bean oil with that vanilla smell is perfect. klotz or 927.

Yeah, I'm currently running Klotz also. I like the smell and color, and really, what else matters? :)

i use the same oil in my stihl chainsaw and brush saw but i dont use it in my bike, i really like like it for my stihl stuff because it comes pre blended with fuel stablizer which is good because sometimes those tools sit for a month or so without use, the brushsaw sits usally till mid may because i just use it for cutting the grass and weeds around my track on the sides of jumps and berms, and to keep my bush trail clear of overgrowth. but for the bike i dont use it, its acutally pretty expensive compared to some thing like amsoil domintaor it costs a wee bit more, the stihl is designed for use in a air cooled engine with no power valve, not a racing mx bike, its good oil and probably be ok to use. but if something like amsoil domintor or interceptor are around the same price designed for a bike i would use them, the stihls may make a bit more power with there oil but thats what its desinged for, just like i dont run my bike oil in my saw. its desinged for use in a liqiud cooled racing bike not a chainsaw, just my 2 cents

The reason why a brand new engine gains horsepower after 5 hours of run time is because the rings have seated perfectly by that time if you do the proper engine break-in. So it's really not that dependent on the oil as it is on the way you treat your engine.

The reason why a brand new engine gains horsepower after 5 hours of run time is because the rings have seated perfectly by that time if you do the proper engine break-in. So it's really not that dependent on the oil as it is on the way you treat your engine.

Not to offend...it doesn't take 5 HOURS to seat rings. All the rings I know of a pre-lapped (cheap brands are belt lapped, the expensive ones are barrel lapped). 2 warm up cycles and it's done.

He said that if you take a brand new weed whacker, and run this HP ultra synthetic, that after about 5 hours of use that the STIHL manufacturer has proven that the engine has gained horsepower.

The owners manual for the Stihl backpack blower I have says that after the fisrt 5 hours of runtime the engine will be up to full power due to rings, bearings, and other stuf going through the break in process. I use the HP Ultra oil in my Stihl but would not run it in my bikes.

Guess maybe I should start using Klotz again. I never had a problem with it, but it is expensive to use. I can see how after everything seats it will have more power, regardless of the type oil. The Stihl oil does have a unique smell tho, which is kind of cool.

People tend to forget that the oil lubricates the main bearings, bigend, smallend and piston pin as well as the cylinder, piston, rings and powervalves and their associated moving parts.

Smell is only important if your at the back of the pack:smirk:

Smell is only important if your at the back of the pack

OOOOh Brm that was cold.........:)

Nice....I agree. I like the smell of certain oil (KLOTZ) in my bike. However, like i've said before, I ran Stihl 2 stroke oil in my bikes in the past...(YZ 60, RT 180, RM 125, KX 250, RM 125, CR 125) and have never had an issue with lubrication in the main bearing or piston. The HP Ultra is an expensive oil, and I shouldn't use it b/c I always seem to run out for my saw and weed whacker, but I like it. I've blown alot of motors on farm, but I never thought it was b/c of the oil I used.

Smell is very important! I don't have to listen to my fellow 4t riders bitch about the smell since they are usually behind me. :)

Not to offend...it doesn't take 5 HOURS to seat rings. All the rings I know of a pre-lapped (cheap brands are belt lapped, the expensive ones are barrel lapped). 2 warm up cycles and it's done.

Yea sorry i shouldve added that in addition to the rings, all the other parts have to be broken in as well. 5 hours is a bit of an exaggeration :)