Sign in to follow this  

Start Technique Question

Is it OK if a rider starts like 5 feet back from the gate and after the 30 second board goes up if he slowly rides up to the gate so that he gets a rolling start? It seems to my like that is a big way to cheat and get a big advantage but my friend said that's what he does and he races B.

Usually there is a stop board behind the gate and you can stage the bike anywhere between the stop board and the gate.

Just remember that if you get caught back from the gate, that's an instant 1 foot deficit that you have to make up.

At organized races the gate person will verify that everyone has their front wheel a maximum of 18 inches from the gate, other wise it's considered cheating.

I don't sit back that far, but probably 1-2 feet as someone above stated 18inches is the rule. I believe in the creep method, as do alot of pros. If you watch the SX races on TV you can see some guys back a little and creeping forward until the gate drops. However, you have to time it right. If you have to stop because you are at the gate and it hasn't dropped, you lose time on your launch. I think if done right, it is a good technique and I use it every moto and usually get good starts.

i do it when practicing my starts, iit seems to cut some time. But as stated above it can also be a bad thing if you dont time it right since you might hit the gate or loose time