Sign in to follow this  

bike in storage for a long time???

I have a buddy with a yz250 that has been stored for 2 years with the old premix gas,sparkplug and transmission oil still in it.What all would you do before trying to crank it up if it was your bike?He told me that he tried it just like it was and it would not fire and the kick starter felt like it was locking up on the down stroke.This bike has very few hours on it and i hate to see him mess it up...so what would you do if it was yours?

for me i would drain the tank, clean the carb very well. new spark plug maybe put a bit of 2 stroke oil or engine storage oil down the spark plug hole if he complains of it feeling tight, new spark plug, change the tranny oil, maybe fresh coolant, clean air filter and it should be good to go.

• Like 1

for me i would drain the tank, clean the carb very well. new spark plug maybe put a bit of 2 stroke oil or engine storage oil down the spark plug hole if he complains of it feeling tight, new spark plug, change the tranny oil, maybe fresh coolant, clean air filter and it should be good to go.

thanks for your help and you got good gas coming your way:thumbsup: i was going over to help him tomorrow and just needed some tips from the pro's to get his yz250 back going :) i was more concerned about the notchy hard to kick thru the stroke kickstarting than the other stuff.