Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 Won't start after washing

Recommended Posts

Went riding last month. Lots of mud. After getting home 3 hours later I washed bike with a regular spray nozzle, not a pressure washer. Afterwards it refused to start. It would turn over but the only response was an occasional backfire. I let it sit in the garage for a month, (snow, rain, and cold) figuring that something got wet and it would now crank. Still the same. I replaced the plug. It has a good spark. I drained some of the fuel tank and added some Stable thinking I may have water in it. Pulled the carb. Jets were clean. Drained the bowl. Pulled the air cleaner. Changed the oil and oil filter. I did see a little water when I removed the frame oil drain plug. The old oil was not black like usual but a gray color. I thought that water in the oil might have done that but I never got it to run after washing it. It ran great right up until I put it on the trailer. I took it to the neighborhood bike shop but they only work on Harleys. He didn't have a compression tool that would fit the DRZ but said it didn't feel like it had any compression when he stuck his finger over the spark plug hole. Looking at some of the other threads I see that maybe it could be either a stuck or gunked up valve or the timing is off. What does anyone else think before I tote it to the Suzuki dealer with a wheelbarrow load of cash? The bike is a 2002 DRZ400. It has a FCR carb, a Yoshamira header and pipe, and the airbox has been opened up. I've also changed both front and rear sprockets to gear it down. I mostly ride in the woods and love steep hills. I was thinking of going with the Athena or Wiseco Big Bore kit but I would like to start with a working bike first. What is everyone's favorite big bore kit? Would the hot cams make a big enough difference in low to mid torque range to be worth it? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best guess is a burned up valve. You really need to do a compression test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had it torn down. The bad news is it was compression, 35lbs. The piston had been compressed around the edges and wouldn't allow the ring to press against the cylinder wall. They said it was probably due to detonation. The good news is it gave me the opportunity to install the Atena Big Bore kit and Hot Cams intake and exhaust cams. I haven't gotten to take it to the woods yet but around the house it seems like I have an arm stretcher now. Most impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×