Sign in to follow this  

cr500 getting no spark?

we went for a ride today, my buddy had the nitrous bottle filled on his cr500 so we thought we would go test it.

we rode for 15 minutes then started racing down the gravel road. my crf 450 smoked his ass, even when he used the nitrous (which we later discovered to be only 1/4 open). he claims he couldnt get traction. oh well.

then we rode up a cutline, the snow was 2 feet deep, I was ahead of him, because 4 strokes are better :), lol but yeah, he was right behind me, I accidently sprayed him with lots of snow, he rode 10 feet and his bike died. wouldnt start after that, even if we pulled it behind my bike. it almost started once, but nothing.

we found wire along the side of the road and I ended up towing him home, about 10 km. we got home and he took the spark plug out, it was fine. he says the bike is getting no spark... why??

did the snow I shot at him ruin something in his CDI box or something?

did his half ass kill switch off a yz 80 have anything to do with it?

any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

it probably got snow in the stator which melted and "watered" it out. pull the stator cover and let dry. then try to start it.

check the pick up above the stator, check coil with ohm meter, check plug like said above see if coil has been shorted due to water damage you could also test the stator with a ohm metter to see if that is in spec, primary wire is good condition?? got good grounds? corrosion free?

it probably got snow in the stator which melted and "watered" it out. pull the stator cover and let dry. then try to start it.

ok, will do that. ill let you know if it works tomorrow.

check the pick up above the stator, check coil with ohm meter, check plug like said above see if coil has been shorted due to water damage you could also test the stator with a ohm metter to see if that is in spec, primary wire is good condition?? got good grounds? corrosion free?

I will let it dry out and try this. this sounds a little more complicated. we dont have an ohm meter.

pretty sure wires are fine, good grounds and no corrosion.

and if it helps, he said earlier that day, it bogged out on him kinda... twice. he just down shifted and it ran fine afterwards...

ok guys, we got it figured out. (not that anyone cares)

I guess the stator was a little wet, and the home made half assed kill switch was causing problems too.

thanks.

Kill switches will get ya every time.

why though? bad wiring?

it was just a junk kill switch off an old rusty yz 80. im sure if we bought a brand new one there would be no problems.

I cant count how many times Ive seen and stories Ive heard of a bad kill switch ruining a good day riding, if my bike wont start the first thing I unplug is the kill switch.

I cant count how many times Ive seen and stories Ive heard of a bad kill switch ruining a good day riding, if my bike wont start the first thing I unplug is the kill switch.

hm, good to know. thanks.

Is he running a 50 shot or 100 shot? Is this a wet or dry nitrous system?

Is he running a 50 shot or 100 shot? Is this a wet or dry nitrous system?

I couldnt imagine it being a 50 shot... thats adding another 50 horsepower to the engine dude.

more like a 10 shot.

not 100% sure what the diff between wet or dry.

he has a 1lb bottle of boondocker nitrous in the airbox, it injects into the airbox right after the airfilter, once the throttle hits the 3/4 mark.

No worries, I was just making fun of you. Sounds like a good way to smoke a motor. What you described would be a dry system, too.

No worries, I was just making fun of you. Sounds like a good way to smoke a motor. What you described would be a dry system, too.

lol oh :thumbsup:

I'd do everything already mentioned and while at it, either teach your buddy how to twist the throttle or how to rebuild a seriously worn out engine. A properly jetted stock CR500 should have no problems out pulling a 450.

I'd do everything already mentioned and while at it, either teach your buddy how to twist the throttle or how to rebuild a seriously worn out engine. A properly jetted stock CR500 should have no problems out pulling a 450.

haha yeah I dont know if I mentioned this or not. but weve races on the gravel several times, me winning every time. he complained about traction.

so we raced on the highway. he got too much traction an ended up catwalking in 1st. I think if he got a proper start I still would have beat him.

I found out he has a 49T rear sprocket, I have a 48T.

I think his 500 is worn out, but so is my 450. its a stock 05, piston is getting low comp, top end is worn out.

I think 3rd is pretty good gear to launch 500 in. 1st? Your buddy rode the short bus in school didn't he? lol I'm just messing with you, I wish I had a 450 to go with my smokers.

I think 3rd is pretty good gear to launch 500 in. 1st? Your buddy rode the short bus in school didn't he? lol I'm just messing with you, I wish I had a 450 to go with my smokers.

haha yeah I recommend that he try starting out in 2nd. he insisted on starting off in 1st.