Sign in to follow this  

WWWOOOOO 3500$ back from income taxes, help me buy a new top end guys

ok, so I have a 2005 crf 450r that is stock top end, stage 2 cam, about 150 hard hours on it. always clean a/f, change the oil every 2-3 hours. I ride it pretty hard, but dont ride track.

I have shimmed the valves 3 times now. now they are starting to make a weird knocking sound. the bike is also hard to start for the first time of the day. gotta be the intakes, which I just shimmed. its time to change them. this is where I get lost.

what is the best choice here?

1. buy new intake valves, exhaust valves and springs off ebay, tools needed and do them myself for like 2-400$?

is my head going to need to be shaved? how do I tell if it needs it or not? what kind of valve springs am I going to want to put in?

2. send my whole head into ron hamp or someone on TT and get them to completely service it for around 5-600$?

3. buy a brand new bolt on head with everything brand new and ready t go from ron hamp or another good seller, for about 600-800$

more questions:

is a new top end going to give me more power? I hate to say it but I think the bike is a little little weaker than when I bought it, still very very strong though. change the piston too or what guys? is that another big job?

I would like to keep this engine rebuild project under 800$ canadian if possible.

Do the top end and include cutting the seats and replacing the timing chain and tensioner. You can get OEM parts pretty cheap but if you want to keep the bike you could look at stainless intake kits. Do the work yourself if you feel qualified. It is always good to learn. Have a GOOD local motorcycle shop that does head work cut the seats. You will need a flywheel puller and a valve spring compressor but they are not expensive. A service manual will help big time! Good luck!

buy a yamaha haha bud

Why?

My friend is having plenty of problems with his Yamaha right now...

He got 150 hours out of all his original equipment. What more could you ask for? His bike has lasted him 3-4 years probably and he can give a great running bike again for $500. That's only costing him $125 a year extra besides oil/air filter changes on average.

Btw... great first post.

Do the top end and include cutting the seats and replacing the timing chain and tensioner. You can get OEM parts pretty cheap but if you want to keep the bike you could look at stainless intake kits. Do the work yourself if you feel qualified. It is always good to learn. Have a GOOD local motorcycle shop that does head work cut the seats. You will need a flywheel puller and a valve spring compressor but they are not expensive. A service manual will help big time! Good luck!

how do I tell if my seats need to even be recut? im not 100% sure if our local bike shop can do that.

I DO want to keep the bike, would you say get the SS intake, SS exhaust, new springs, and do anything to my piston, or should I leave the piston alone?

I can probably do it myself, with the help of TT obviously.

can I get both of those tools from the TT store?

Im gonna price everything out and see what would be the best choice money wise.

buy a yamaha haha bud

HAHAHA nice brad, nice to see you got the forums all figured out. now you just gotta learn how to ride that awesome yamaha of yours!

how do I tell if my seats need to even be recut? im not 100% sure if our local bike shop can do that.

I DO want to keep the bike, would you say get the SS intake, SS exhaust, new springs, and do anything to my piston, or should I leave the piston alone?

I can probably do it myself, with the help of TT obviously.

can I get both of those tools from the TT store?

Im gonna price everything out and see what would be the best choice money wise.

HAHAHA nice brad, nice to see you got the forums all figured out. now you just gotta learn how to ride that awesome yamaha of yours!

Everytime you get new valves you need to get your seats cut. If you dont your new valves will wear down alot faster.

Everytime you get new valves you need to get your seats cut. If you dont your new valves will wear down alot faster.

oh ok, I kinda figured that... :)

how many times can you get your seats cut before its time for a new head?

thanks.

ok cool, thanks.

so this is what I think im gonna do:

take the head off, send it in to somewhere thats fairly cheap, fast, and has a good reputation. I will get them to cut the seats, and at the same time Ill just get them to replace all the valves ad springs too. I am gonna wanna do with SS right guys?

now the big question is, who should I choose to do all that? if youre going to recommend someone, please post their price also.

thanks.

ok cool, thanks.

so this is what I think im gonna do:

take the head off, send it in to somewhere thats fairly cheap, fast, and has a good reputation. I will get them to cut the seats, and at the same time Ill just get them to replace all the valves ad springs too. I am gonna wanna do with SS right guys?

now the big question is, who should I choose to do all that? if youre going to recommend someone, please post their price also.

thanks.

PM Jesse from Williamsmotowerx here at TT. He is a TT sponsor and you will not find better work anywhere else. He has a great reputation and you can ask a lot of people here that have had him do work for them their opinions. I had him do up a head for me and was very happy with it. Jesse can give you his price I cant do that for you. He is very resonable on price though. Good luck. :)

Wow! This could be a depressing thread with $3500 and new top end in the same sentence. It makes me worry about the future of the sport.

PM Jesse from Williamsmotowerx here at TT. He is a TT sponsor and you will not find better work anywhere else. He has a great reputation and you can ask a lot of people here that have had him do work for them their opinions. I had him do up a head for me and was very happy with it. Jesse can give you his price I cant do that for you. He is very resonable on price though. Good luck. :)

ok I will, what is his username??

thanks.

Wow! This could be a depressing thread with $3500 and new top end in the same sentence. It makes me worry about the future of the sport.

have you even read the first post?!

I said "I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS PROJECT UNDER 800$" I didnt say I was gonna spend all 3500$ on a new top end :)

have you even read the first post?!

I said "I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS PROJECT UNDER 800$" I didnt say I was gonna spend all 3500$ on a new top end :banghead:

Some people just dont read :)

Kids these days and their rap music :banghead::foul:

Some people just dont read :)

Kids these days and their rap music :banghead: :banghead:

actually now that I read his post again, I can tell the tone he in which he says it. hes saying it sounds like im spending 3500$ all on my top end, and in given time, thats how much they will actually cost. which I agree.

but back to subject: who should I send the head to to get re-done? what do they charge including shipping and everything.

crfhead.jpg

Brand new head with stainless valves, race springs and titanium retainers. $574.95 outright.

450 Cylinder Heads

574 USD

prob 75$ shipping

total: 650 USD

650 x 1.25 = 812 canadian.

so I can spend 800 canadian on that, or approx 600$ and get my current head re-shaved and rebuilt... save myself 200$, its not like I need a new head or anything, yet. but thats not what im too sure of.. is the price to get my head rebuilt. Ron hamp or agent smith havnt gotten back to me yet :)

574 USD

prob 75$ shipping

total: 650 USD

650 x 1.25 = 812 canadian.

so I can spend 800 canadian on that, or approx 600$ and get my current head re-shaved and rebuilt... save myself 200$, its not like I need a new head or anything, yet. but thats not what im too sure of.. is the price to get my head rebuilt. Ron hamp or agent smith havnt gotten back to me yet :)

I just took all the parts and my head to a local motor guy and had him do everything. parts and labor total was about 440.00 and thats a yamaha. you can probably install the piston yourself.

almost forgot I used kibblewhite valves and springs.

I just took all the parts and my head to a local motor guy and had him do everything. parts and labor total was about 440.00 and thats a yamaha. you can probably install the piston yourself.

almost forgot I used kibblewhite valves and springs.

we dont have a local guy though. I dont even know if theres a place in the nearest city. should I bring it to a honda dealership and install OEM parts and get them to shave it if they can? I will get an estimate first though.

I wasnt planning on touching the piston... or should I? what do you guys recommend?

any input would be appreciated, im pretty lost when it comes to this stuff. I just wanna make sure it gets done properly and I dont get ripped off.