Sign in to follow this  

XR650 V's TTR600.....??

I'm looking at something lighter than my present offroader and like the simplicity offered by both of these bikes.

I am no racer, so HP is no major concern.

Expected use is day or overnight rides, with some commuting.

I do most of my own servicing.

I would like to fit some 17in hoops for extra fun. :)

Any opinions or advice appreciated.

Matt

You won't get much help from the USA. Yamaha believes real Americans only ride 250's. Which is exactly why I don't ride Yamaha anymore. So ship some over and we will get back to you.

The Yamaha has less power (approx 40) weighs 153 kgs fully fueled up, and has no radiator/hoses to damage. Comes stock with Ohlins shocks and Piaoli forks. I have one with 26000 on the clock, (bought it with 17k), I ride mostly offroad , ridden it in for 2000 kms Tunesia, approx 1000 in Spain. Bullet proof, parts are everywhere (older XT600 engine). Since 2004 with lower seatheight and have have lower spec suspension, but an a electric-start

I have ridden the XRR too, more grunt and almost same weight, i believe. Lots of aftermarket parts. Afteremarket e-start is possible.

Altough i am a Yamaha-guy (never owned another brand), i believe the Honda is a better allround bike, mostly becasue of the extra ponies.

I have a 98 TT600R and it's got 34000km's and i got it geared high for the highway as i do a 60km round trip everyday for work on it and its still going strong.The only complaint is when i start it and runs for a few secs then stops it can be an a$$ to get going again or if it's left in storge for awhile.

My TT v's an XR650R was a no contest win to the honda in a drag lol.

oh XR650R all the way! I don't know how easy/hard they are to find in Australia but if you can get your hands on one buy it!!!!! My dad and I both have one and we are looking to add another one to our fleet.