Sign in to follow this  

Leaking left fork driving me crazy.

Let me start by saying :banghead:. Ok, here is the deal my left fork will not stop leaking no matter how many fork seals I change. I've put three different seals on it and it begins to leak immediately after I take my first test ride. My bike is an 04 rm250. It has Showa forks.

This is beyond annoying, and I can think what would be causing this problem. I checked the surface of the fork for burs there were none. Its slick like it should be.

I mean there are only 5 parts that plays a part hold the outer fork oil in the tube. Guide bushing, seal retainer, oil seal, stopper ring, and dust seal, right?

Its only my left fork that leaks and its enough to completely cover my front disk after a couple laps. :)

How can I go about diagonsing this probrelm. I'm lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.s.

One of our more generous members on this site sent me an entire triple clamp set up, upper bottom and the steering stem after I hosed mine up and was looking at a long lay off from riding. Cammeddr-z is beyond cool and should be given more gas than I am able to give. The Reward is on its way Rob and I hope you have a monday off when it gets there.

The set up he sent me was from a rmz-450 the only discrency is that beginning in 07 they changed from 22.5mm offset to a 21.5mm. We are not really sure as to which it is, but why the way I had wedge the forks in the clamps I'm pretty sure they are the 21.5mm offset. I really had to work and pull and to get the forks in the clamps the top clamp seemed to be a little smaller than my previous one. The font wheel still spins freely so I'm pretty sure its not a problem.

I'm no factory test rider, but the bikes seems to be less stable at speed and when turning has a tendency to knife under quicker than it used to. Does anyone out there have any experience with this offset on a rm250? Or some kind of formula so that I can set the forks in the clamps and adjust the sag to a more stock feel? This is new territory for me so any kind of knowledge you have doooo pass it on.

Good point. If the bushings are overly worn, the tubes can wobble allowing the seal to deform.

Replace the bushings that should be what it causing the problem.

Thanks guys for whatever reason I figured if the bushings where tight on the fork leg that was good enough. I didn't even think that was what keeps the inner leg stable in the outer leg. I guess the process of yanking the inner leg out to change seals over the years has done its wear to those bushings. Thanks for the help. It would have bit to go to a shop and have them stick to me and still not know what was the causing the problem. Suzuki forums for life!