Sign in to follow this  

Me and the Primary Nut fix

My bike is in the shop now for major Warranty work. New crank etc.

Before bringing it into the dealer, I started to look into the matter myself. Removed the head and cylinder. Also looked at the primary nut while I was at it.

After 18K miles on a SM the primary nut, though loose about 25 psi to loosen it, had not been loose enough to do any damage. But it was loose!

Anyway, was at the dealer today to see how it was going and the service manager expressed some displeasure with me because the front sprocket was red thread locked. He thought that was stupid and it would be inconvenient to remove.

Finally when I indicated that on re-assembly I wanted the sprocket re- redded and I also wanted the primary nut redded as well, he just couldn't understand why. But he said he would do it. He also said they have never done it before and no one had ever even suggested that it be done.

Now, it is not my intention to comment regarding the need for these protections. I know that for 18k Miles w/o the primary nut fix, I thought about it a lot and if the bike was not under warranty, I would have done the fix sooner.

What surprises me was that the dealer has never done the sprocket or the primary nut. His comment was, if it was any problem at all Suzuki would have notified them.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Good news is my bike will be back home in about a week. Bad news.. no big bore or stroker kits.

Tony

Mine was loose and rattly in less then half those miles. Thankfully it didn't let loose. Replaced seals, spacer, etc. for good measure. :)

What surprises me was that the dealer has never done the sprocket or the primary nut. His comment was, if it was any problem at all Suzuki would have notified them.

Tony

I'm not surprised at all.

Although Thumpertalk is a pretty big message board, not every mechanic that works at a Suzuki dealership is logging onto it and reading about all things DR-Z400.

Myself, I never knew that guys who owned these bikes were using red loctite on the front sprocket splines and nut threads until I joined this place and read it, and I, too, never heard of red loctite being recommended to put on those parts during assembly on any of the other trillion bikes I've owned in the past.

I do know about it and believe in the practice now, though, since so many knowledgable guys here are doing it.

I wouldn't assume the guy at the shop is a dimwit based just on not knowing about that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a Suzuki service rep who worked for American Suzuki said the same thing.

I work at a Suzuki dealership and I can tell you that I'm not logging onto any message boards devoted to the Suzuki Boulevard cruisers on a regular basis. :)

There are probably a few tricks being done with a C50 that I've never heard of.

I guess the real question at this point is did he loctite the primary nut? And do you trust him enough to take his word on it if he says he did? Me? I'd have that side open as soon as I got it home.

My bike is in the shop now for major Warranty work. New crank etc.

Before bringing it into the dealer, I started to look into the matter myself. Removed the head and cylinder. Also looked at the primary nut while I was at it.

After 18K miles on a SM the primary nut, though loose about 25 psi to loosen it, had not been loose enough to do any damage. But it was loose!

Anyway, was at the dealer today to see how it was going and the service manager expressed some displeasure with me because the front sprocket was red thread locked. He thought that was stupid and it would be inconvenient to remove.

Finally when I indicated that on re-assembly I wanted the sprocket re- redded and I also wanted the primary nut redded as well, he just couldn't understand why. But he said he would do it. He also said they have never done it before and no one had ever even suggested that it be done.

Now, it is not my intention to comment regarding the need for these protections. I know that for 18k Miles w/o the primary nut fix, I thought about it a lot and if the bike was not under warranty, I would have done the fix sooner.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Good news is my bike will be back home in about a week. Bad news.. no big bore or stroker kits.

Tony

Im curious where you took it? I went into a Honda/Susuki dealer and tried talking to them about it and they acted like I was smoking crack! Telling me I didnt know what I was talking about. I said a forum full of DRZ owners and many have had the problem. This particular dealership I try hard to avoid. Unfortunately they are the closest to me for OEM but I will drive if I can to avoid giving them my business.

What was the major malfunction? Lower rod bearing?

Were they a little peaved at you for pulling it apart on your own? Did you bring it in in peices or button it back together first?

I asked them to loc-tite the primary nut when I took mine in for a cam chain replacement. Got the same reaction. Guy said he'd do it, but not to tell anyone.

Im curious where you took it? I went into a Honda/Susuki dealer and tried talking to them about it and they acted like I was smoking crack! Telling me I didnt know what I was talking about. I said a forum full of DRZ owners and many have had the problem.

Brought it close to home for repair.

I tried to be less critical in my post re. my relationship with the Service people, but you more accurately describe what actually occurred. If Eddie has done 100 DRZs , and he finds 5 of them with loose primary nuts, that's enough for me.

I remember him commenting in someones post quite a while ago about about the red lock tite and about why Suzuki didn't fix it. All he said was...... it usually happens after the warranty has expired.

Tony

Brought it close to home for repair.

I tried to be less critical in my post re. my relationship with the Service people, but you more accurately describe what actually occurred. If Eddie has done 100 DRZs , and he finds 5 of them with loose primary nuts, that's enough for me.

I remember him commenting in someones post quite a while ago about about the red lock tite and about why Suzuki didn't fix it. All he said was...... it usually happens after the warranty has expired.

Tony

They lost the majority of my business and faith in their knowledge based on that response. If a customer came into my shop saying that many people have experienced a particular problem I would it least take an interest in the problem and try to help resolve it. But then I guess that would be admitting a possible defect. Whatever! Defect or not it could be someone's life they are saving. I sometimes think being a female is a disadvantage in this sport. Like I wouldnt know caca if I smelled it.