Sign in to follow this  

gps recommendations for dual sporting

I have an yellow garmin e trex (older one)but seems to shut off because of vibration. what gps do you guys use. and how hard are trail maps for ca to findand download. Thanks Rick

I use a Garmin 60Csx. I would recommend it or the 60Cx (no compass or altimeter = cheaper and better battery life). Both are full color will do downloaded maps or the Garmin Maps. I've had it mounted to my XR280L and my FT500 (XL500) and never had it shut off from vibration.

There are tricks to help with vibration on your unit however, Tape the batteries together, side by side, in the correct orientation with elecrical tape. Use a few wraps to make the back cover a little tight to put on. Don't make it to tight or you will prevent it from sealing. Wait, that won't work on the Etrex because of how the battery cover works... check out the link below.

Here is some more info:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/GPS_batts/gps_batts_eTrex.html

Try putting some foam between the batteries and the cover.

I use the Garmin 60cx. Depending on where you live, you might find some free topo stuff for your area. The older Garmin Roads and Rec mapset can usually be found for free.

I use the Garmin 60 CSx, but unless you need the exact altitude, y will go for the 60Cx is the same but with better battery consumption and cheaper! I will recommend also that you buy son rechargeable batteries it will improve the battery live almost 3 times longer.

Has anyone tried the Garmin Oregon or Colorado?

Garmin Oregon

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14904

Garmin Colorado

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11022

I played with both in REI for a few minutes. Here are my brief impressions.

Colorado: Looks great, easy to read. Took a little time to learn how to use. Too much graphics and software packed into not enough a machine without a big enough processor. It was just too slow when panning through the map. It does have a quad helix antennae which does GREAT in dense tree cover and canyons. A must for riding where I ride.

Oregon: Same look as the Colorado but a little more responsive and much easier to navigate around the menus. It has a touch screen that I'm wary about using with dirty gloves on a long wet ride. Seems like screen damage is likely. It is not as fast as the 60 series but not bad either. Patch antennae... Unlike the Quad helix this type of antennae must be parallel to the earths surface and have a fairly clear view of the sky to get the best coverage. Not a big deal if you are in a open area or one that goes in and out of tree cover. The tracklog it generates just wont be as accurate as a unit with a quad helix.

Even at the same price I still like my 60CSx over either of those for my mixture of hiking, geo-caching and dirtbiking.

I have a 60cs....used it on my MTB, XR400, kayaks, even had it with me in the Andes at 22,000ft...it never failed me. The 60 series looks a bit more rugged than the Colorado and Origon.A 60csx would be the only one that would be better with Sirf technology.