Sign in to follow this  

Oil Cooler install TEMP UPDATE

Well have put a few hundred miles on the pig with the new jagg cooler.

Here are my findings:

25-30 degrees lower firm...

A few months ago when I put on the 4.7 Clarke I would hit 260 degrees on the highway at 65 70 mph always (outside temp aroud 60 degrees).

As I said, a couple of hundred highway miles (47mi one way to work took a couple of times this week) several areas are 75mph speed limit, so speed range 60-75/80. Temp out side around 65-69 both days.

Never over 225 degrees....

Well worth it. this should keep me below the danger zone mid summer..

2003_1104Image0003-1.jpg

2005_0101Image0025.jpg

2003_1104Image0002.jpg

Since the pics I have shortened the outer line to pull it in a bit and zip tie around to clean it all up

there a drain on that cooler or do you have to take off and turn upside down to drain?

How long before a rock hits that cooler ???

PLACE YOUR BETS !!!!!!

Just kidding.

I like it... but it really is "in harm's way", isn't it? do they sell a guard for it?

I'd be worried about the cooler imploding during a knockover.

I rode an enduro last weekend, which was basically uber tight twisty stick forrest, and I dropped my bike close to 50 times during the 5 hours.

How secure is it mounted?

-Scott

How long before a rock hits that cooler ???

PLACE YOUR BETS !!!!!!

Just kidding.

I like it... but it really is "in harm's way", isn't it? do they sell a guard for it?

It will be fine. My Jagg oil cooler is mounted in a similar location for over 10 years. Bike has been down on that side many times and also a close encounter with a tree. Still on and kicking.

IM000810.jpg

IM000811.jpg

IM000812.jpg

Mine was a complete kit they sold a long time ago that included the mounting brackets and the cooler with lines. Mine hooked up to the oil lines coming from the bottom of the engine and not the upper lines.

Ray

I'd be worried about the cooler imploding during a knockover.

I rode an enduro last weekend, which was basically uber tight twisty stick forrest, and I dropped my bike close to 50 times during the 5 hours.

How secure is it mounted?

-Scott

If you look at the frontal pics, if you drop the bike on that side the bars, tank and case all stick out alot further than the cooler. To hit it you would have to slide on it's side and hit something that stickes up from the ground.

I'm not saying that it cannot be hit but the chances are not that good.

This was one of my "get offs" on that side of the bike. The cooler never touched anything. If you look at the picture you can see how far off the ground the cooler is.

IM000369.jpg

Not worried about rock strikes, I will have a wire gaurd on this weekend.

I know Pig owners have used them for years. Have not heard about any damage from cooler/oil loss.. I figure a puncture could happen, but doubt you could run more than a half quart out before smoke smell spatter.. well you get the idea...

Then just cut the line with my pocket knife and bipass the cooler.. Pig will run with about a quart or so ...

This really is the last thing I was worried about, oil leak that is.. I have built air cooled engines as hobby for years and the high oil/engine temps are what worry me..

Keep that engine/oil cool and the engine will have less wear.

I know most oil manufactures use 150c ( about 300f) to measure damage in bearing tests. I dont want to see my bike near 300f, just my own thing

I dont remember if it was regular oil or sinth but really dont care. Optimal oil temp ranges dont get to those high numbers...

I will update when I get the cooler guard on with pics

Here is my take on the old Jagg oil cooler kit,,, Works great here in the desert where theirs lots of heat and BIG ROCKS...

2153481902_01598bb3ca_m.jpg

Greentrib, where in NM are you? Really like your oil cooler set up; i've thought about the xr400 cooler too, but yours likely cools better.

I mounted the Jagg oil coiler on the side like the others, tubes out the bottom and had it for many miles on the tails. I make a protective front plate like radiator guards out of thin aluminum by drilling a zillion wholes in the front and left the side solid to help with side inpacts like a devol radiator brace. Nice to see someone else using one.