Sign in to follow this  

any New Mexico riders

Here! I'm fairly new to trials and New Mexico. I moved to Tijeras from New Jersey about 5 months ago. I've been going out to San Ysidro (did I spell that right?) with a couple friends on a fairly regular basis. One of these days I might actually learn something and stop hurting myself.

Where do you ride?

I ride wherever I can! Are you the guy on the new gas gas that was at beaver town last weekend. I am the big guy on the Scherco

I've never been to Beavertown although it's much closer to my house than San Ysidro. I hope to go there soon. I do have a GasGas though. If you see a silver Toyota w/ New Jersey plates thats me.

I ride sportsman class and I have a good area down here in Socorro to play with if you are ever interested

There are a bunch of New Mexico guys. On the Gas Gas Web Site, under the photos section, they have some photos from the New Mexico National Championship event.

And my long lost friends, Bud and Dave Cole should still be down there, though Bud is a chunk older than me so I hope he's still around.

There are a bunch of New Mexico guys. On the Gas Gas Web Site, under the photos section, they have some photos from the New Mexico National Championship event.

And my long lost friends, Bud and Dave Cole should still be down there, though Bud is a chunk older than me so I hope he's still around.

Bud just quit riding competition last year, but inspector gadget is still around to watch Dave ride. I don’t have a picture of him but I think he built the bike my mom is on in this pic,

478763431_f42PN-M.jpg

Yes BTW that 50 had the seat lowered so I could reach the ground I don’t have that problem anymore

266203902_qkVQB-M.jpg

I was looking through some pictures and found one with bud from last December

432518920_yDzet-M.jpg

I was looking through some pictures and found one with bud from last December

432518920_yDzet-M.jpg

COOL!! :thumbsup: Good to see he's still out there.

When I first started riding in late 1973 on my new 74 Honda XL350, I bought a book to help learn the basics. In that book were photos of funny looking bikes with tiny seats along with other regular looking dirt bikes. I learned a lot from that book.

It was Carl Shipman's "Boonie Book" Printed 1974

boonie-book.jpg

And toward the back of the book was this guy riding balanced on the edge of his tires on a sloped rock on one of those "different bikes". A year later, I found out those were Trials Bikes and then I bought Carl Shipman's book on Trials and in it was the same photo of this guy:

bud-cole1973.jpg

Only this time, it had the name of the rider that caught my eye... Bud Cole. And 7 years later, Bud and Dave Cole moved to Kent, Washington for one year where I had the chance to meet and ride with them. David helped me cut trail on the new Tinkham Trials Area near Seattle. I'll never forget his small pickup truck with the electronic dashboard with just about every gadget you could imagine.

I switched to Trials in late 74 and never looked back.

I have seen all the gizmos he has on his bike but I cant imagine what his truck looked like

I have seen all the gizmos he has on his bike but I cant imagine what his truck looked like

David had all sorts of LED displays and digital read-outs and that's before I knew what an LED was. It rivaled an aircraft panel only with things related to automobiles. Many of the things that David had are just now becoming available. And that was in 1982, even before I bought my first Atari Computer.

And Bud had made a simple flashlight battery powered LED tail light assembly for his Honda TL that would power the working tail and brake light with the motor off so it could be street legal... It would fit in the palm of my hand and weighed only ounces. They have similar devices now, but that was 27 years ago!