Valve Shim is Stuck

Any ideas on how to get a shim out that is stuck? The darn thing plopped right in....hadn't even been ran with that shim in, just trying to get the valves shimmed correct for the '08 cam I'm sticking in it:banghead: Tried using a magnet, which I've had to do prior...but it just won't budge. I can wiggle it even, so I know it's not wedged in...WTH?!?!:):banghead: Anyone have any other suggetions without having to take the darn head off?:foul::banghead:

can you use a small pick, stronger magnet, vacuum? the vacuum would need to be a shop vac....and I would only use it in extreme cases. try a really strong magnet or pick first.

as mentioned above, unless something really unusual happened you should be able to get it out with a good magnet and/or a pick?

I haven't tried the pick yet, I've got a dental pick that might work:thinking: ...may do that this evening. I also thought about a vacuum, just need to rig something up to make the hose smaller to get a really good suction. Thanks for the suggestions.:)

Still can't get it out.....tried the shopvac using a small hose about the size of the shim to ensure a good/strong suction....tried brake cleaner, pick, magnet....nothing works so far. My old man is coming into town tomorrow and is suppose to have a bigger magnet...will try that and if that doesn't work, guess I'll be removing the head to use the spring compressor:banghead:

Squirt some solvent down around it or even a shot of air to break the suction the oil film has on it.

I had this problem with the exhaust valves. What I did: take you finger firmly press down onto the shim. Then take air hose and and blow all of the oil around the shim. Take small earth magnet half the diam. of pencil eraser to turbocharge smaller weaker magnet.

This worked for me.

Similar to this

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/detail-ID-84.html

tons of uses they are tiny and very powerfull.

I've got one really stuck on the exhaust; it won't budge at all! Tried magnet, air, solvent, Power Blaster-nothing works. I don't dare push on it for fear of sticking it worse (can it get worse, though?).

clean it really well with brake cleaner . let it dry then take a screw driver or a pick and put some thick grease on the tip...dip the tip onto the shim and let the stickyness of the grease pull the shim right out. the oils often act to creat a suction. Try using the pick and a magnet. keep moving the magnet around...it will have a tendency to attact and also magnetize the metals around it so when you are using the magnet the keeper and valve are pulling back as hard as your magnet.

Take apart an old hard drive and use one of those magnets to get it out. They are SUPER powerful.

I put a 7/16-inch socket on a 3-inch extension, set the socket on the exhaust valve's spring retainer and carefully rapped the end of the extension with a hammer. After a few hits the shim popped loose.

I've heard that certain measuring tools can be ground so smooth that you can only slide them apart because they fit so smoothly that there is no air between them and you are now fighting 15 PSI air pressure. It wouldn't be much with the small shim but still could be 5_1- PSI holding the sim down.

Wikipedia:

Adhesion

Wringing is the process of sliding two blocks together so that their faces lightly bond. When combined with a very light film of oil, this action excludes any air from the gap between the two blocks. The alignment of the ultra-smooth surfaces in this manner permits molecular attraction to occur between the blocks, and forms a very strong bond between the blocks along with no discernible alteration to the stack's overall dimensions. Gage blocks, when properly wrung, may withstand a 200lb (890 newton) pull. The detailed physics responsible for this phenomenon remains unclear.[1] Possible causes that have been suggested are: atmospheric pressure, molecular attraction, a minute film of oil, or a combination of these factors.

I would think any magnet would pull them out. I just use a little mag thats ontop of my fountain pen. Probably doesn't have 1 pound of power.I works great every time.

On 4/29/2009 at 9:18 PM, aswanson said:

I put a 7/16-inch socket on a 3-inch extension, set the socket on the exhaust valve's spring retainer and carefully rapped the end of the extension with a hammer. After a few hits the shim popped loose.

Hammer time! I had to do this too and it is all that worked. Tried lube, solvent, I have every size rare earth magnet and even a fine dental pick. It was wedged so a vacuum was useless. I had to use 2 extensions and weave it through wire bundles because it was almost directly below the frame. A few wraps with a hammer and it popped loose.

You'll note that my shim also chipped. This happened before it got stuck, this was not due to me trying to pry it out.20170209_183247.jpg

Edited by deltacheese

I've got an idea, rig something up to pressurize the cylinder, maybe fittings from a compression gauge. This will hold the valve closed while you push down on the spring and get that sucker out.