Sign in to follow this  

06 kx250f vs. 07 crf250

Maybe I am tripping! I rode my buddies 07 crf250 and it felt quite a bit quicker, smoother, snappier, and responsive than my 06 kx250f! I was wondering if this should be the case or not? I bought the bike used so I am not sure how it should feel. Would jetting issues cause the rougher feeling? Is it maybe just time for a re-build? I have the new piston and rings sitting in my garage, just waiting for a good time to get my hands dirty. I am coming off two strokes and have no bearing for how the bike should feel. My friend with the crf is a newb, so he has no advice to offer. Any thoughts?

well i had an 07'kxf....now have an 08'crf...must say the crf is MUCH "snappier" feeling...not sure why...just is.

I felt the opposite I rode my friend crf and it seemed powerless but then again it could have had low compression it was beat on pretty hard.

his bike is probly jetted better than yours. I rode both bikes when I was shopping a few months back. The KXF motor is stronger period. The CRF to me felt "skinnier" and handled better, also the Honda has a pretty good "hit" up top, the kawi screams up top as well, but it's a more linear power curve IMO.

What jets are you running?

To be honest, I am not sure which jets I am running, I just got the bike and have only put like 6 to 10 hours on it. I have not torn into the carb simply because it runs pretty good and starts really easily. I guess the best you know is the best you have ridden, so I'll have to play around with it next time I go out. I was sort of planning on getting a good baseline when I do the top-end job. New plug, rad, fluid etc. Perhaps that would be the best time to tinker with it. I am in Denver CO, so perhaps a fellow rider could point me to a good baseline jetting setting for 5200 ft.? I have searched, but found nothing for CO or high altitude. I would guess the team green or PC settings are for sea level so-cal guys?

Thats probly why it's not as fast as your buddies bike, the stock jetting is waaaaaaay off especially for that temp and elevation. Pull the jets and needle, start with the Team green settings and go from there :)