Freshening up the shock

The shock on my XR400 has never been touched since I bought the bike new in 02. Most who have ridden my bike think it works just fine. But I know the poor shock has got to be tired, and at the very least the oil is contaminated. So I am going to rebuild it myself. My question is, what are the typical parts I should have on hand to do the job? I would like to have everything ready ahead of time so I can get it refreshed and back on the bike. And as far as parts go, should I use all OEM or are aftermarket parts ok? Are there any brands you recommend or would avoid? And for those of you who have done this, are there any tips or words of wisdom you would care to share? Thanks for your help and advice.

I'm going to do my '01 XR soon also. The Honda Service Manual recommends Honda SS-7 suspension fluid which is a 5 wt, I think. I have some Maxima 3 wt shock fluid. Anyone know if that will work OK or will it be to light?

My speculation tells me that it wouldn't hurt to take some of the harshness off of the high speed compression damping and turn up the clickers if I need to. I've rebuilt forks a few times and this will be only my second shock rebuild, so I'm a novice at suspension tuning. Any thoughts?