Sign in to follow this  

Gas tank Issues

I damn near ran out of gas today. I was out riding and looked down at the trip o meter and realized I had forgotten to top off and was pushing the envelope. turned around headed back to town.

Now on the way back it was all downhill bike sputtered then died. switch to reserve, fired it up and made it to gas station.

I topped off with only 1.8 gallons of fuel!!!??!?!?!?! W. T. F! :) I thought to myself.

I don't think the hill wasn't that steep to allow a full gallon to be in the front of the tank and therefore not flowing.

As a side not I ran out of gas couple weeks ago on FLAT ground. flipped to reserve filled up and only put 2 gallons in. I thought this was a 2.8 gallon tank.

Now I know I need a new tank ASAP. looking at the clarke 4.7 and Acerbis 5.8.

Any ideas fellas? Are these tanks prone to similar ailments?

I've had the IMS 4 gal or whatever it is, that tank came with my bike. I really didn't like it all that much and had problems with the seals. So I purchased a clark 4.7, the Clark is a very nice tank. Its made from softer plastic than the IMS, so it scratches and dents easily. I've heard the Acrebis is the way to go, dual petcocks, large capacity. Where I ride I only need 4gal, anything larger for me would be adding useless weight, I know I know dont fill it all the way. IMO the tanks in the 4 gal range look the best on the 650L. If you have bark busters you'll have to come up with a different mounting system if you go the Clark route, the front mounts on mine were hitting the tank near the top and denting it, didn't matter if I angeled them up or down. I'm going to really look into the mounting this weekend, I really like having HD hand protection.

I damn near ran out of gas today. I was out riding and looked down at the trip o meter and realized I had forgotten to top off and was pushing the envelope. turned around headed back to town.

Now on the way back it was all downhill bike sputtered then died. switch to reserve, fired it up and made it to gas station.

I topped off with only 1.8 gallons of fuel!!!??!?!?!?! W. T. F! :) I thought to myself.

I don't think the hill wasn't that steep to allow a full gallon to be in the front of the tank and therefore not flowing.

As a side not I ran out of gas couple weeks ago on FLAT ground. flipped to reserve filled up and only put 2 gallons in. I thought this was a 2.8 gallon tank.

Now I know I need a new tank ASAP. looking at the clarke 4.7 and Acerbis 5.8.

Any ideas fellas? Are these tanks prone to similar ailments?

What is happening is your tank is essential divided into 2 sections, right and left. There is normally only one petcock on the left hand side of the tank. The gas on the right side has to be splashed over to the left side to be able to get it to the carb. If your riding and not shaking the gas in your tank you could potentially burn all the fuel on the left side and still have considerable amount of fuel on the right. IF your in a pinch and your looking for that extra bit of gas to get you home, tilt the bike towards the petcock side and any gas lieft on the right side will flow to the left side. The Dual petcock system eliviates this problem.

I live in the rockies up here in CO and bought the bike to explore these vast ranges. I am thinking the 5.8 Acerbis dual petcock is what I need

I plan on raising the bars as high as I can (hopefully without having to extend the cables) I am 6' 4" and with long legs and when I stand up I am way too far forward reaching for the bars. but thats a whole other issue

The gas on the right side has to be splashed over to the left side to be able to get it to the carb

Regarding this issue it was a very twisty road and granted I was not exactly draggin my knees or anything but I was leaning the bike pretty far and would think the combo of that plus the constant change in speed the gas would be sloshing, but maybe not.

thats a HUGE tank for a L! you must ride for the whole day? ill bet a 4.7 would do you fine too, but either way a dual petcock does help as you get all fuel from both sides without having to lean bike over when almost empty