Sign in to follow this  

Is this right? brake fluid pumping out of reservoir?

Hey fellas basically just installed new brakes front and back on my bros bike

Front went fine, bled them with new fluid everything perfect

The rear was a different story. First of all the work perfectly in stopping the bike however when i went to change the fluid i took the cap off and every time i pushed the rear pedal down to build some pressure it would spit it out of the master cyl reservoir.

No matter how soft i would press it, it would still shoot up and out of the reservoir. To my understanding this shouldnt be happening right ?

ALSO, on closer inspection the reservoir itself has expanded like it was about to explode from all the pressure (probably has always been like this since he bought the bike)

What the hell is going on? im not sure on how master cylinders work so im in need of some assistance

thanks

I always bleed the brakes with the cap on. Everyone I have ever done has spit just like you are describing. My brakes are excellent.

Fair enough that sounds reasonable but there still has to be some sort of problem because the container has expanded like it is going to explode so im guessing theres too much pressure in there or something like that

anyone else have any suggestions?

The 'squirt' is normal. There is a small port that bleeds fluid back to the reservoir when you press the caliper pistons back in. It also bleeds off pressure to prevent the pads from grabbing the disk if the fluid heats up.

The swollen reservoir is due to a combination of heat and poor plastic used. Not much you can do about it but replace. In many instances, a master from another bike fits perfectly and will have a metal reservoir, eliminating the problem. If you go this route, not only must the replacement master fit, the bore size must be the same.

Thanks for that, Its my brothers bike so im not going to worry about it. The more i work on it the more i find wrong with the dam thing

at least i know its normal to squirt out and the bulging is coz of the material used