Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z and XR650R

So I sold my road legal DRZ k5 E (full yosh, 39mm fcr) and lo and behold I'm almost full circle looking at buying one again! ***?

I do a lot of adventure riding - normally 200 to 500 km per ride, a lot of it on the highway, but also a lot of proper off road stuff.

Been looking, but the closest I can find to the all rounder I had is an XR 650R - a bigger, torquier (?) machine that might suit me better on the road. I jsut found the dr-z experience a little tiring on the pavement...

Now I guess I'm expecting a biased answer here, but the XR 650 R kicks ass does it not? Seems like a worthy "upgrade"?

your views are welcome!!!

The XR650R is an awesome machine. It will be much, much better on the open road but in tight stuff you'll really mis the DR-Z. For most adventure riding doing longer distances I'm thinking the XR is better suited.

ride with a couple xr-r's (mostly dirt) and will not call it an upgrade, rather a change. They are capable of being set up better for the road due to torque and gearing. They can also be made into a very capable dirt ride, though no more so than a drz. The ergos are a problem and require modification. I wouldn't trade for one, but if I had a good deal on one and needed a bike, I would take it.

I'd miss the magic button the most.

agreed! and the e-start kit you can get for them is bulky, heavy and unreliable.

There is a starting drill that works most of the time, but if it stalls when crossing a puddle/log/obstacle, you can't just pull in the clutch and hit the button-often without having to put you foot down. You have to stop, crank with compression release 4 times round, bring to tdc, balance, get ready, then crank it and hope it starts. If not, do over and hope it doesn't flood.

Also only holds a bit of oil (same or less than drz) so have to change it at least as often, and it takes longer/more screwing around.