Sign in to follow this  

Loosing Weight ?

Hey everyone, I am 15 , and I weigh 240 ,5'9 , I ride , Play baseball , And i want to loose weight any suggestions:worthy: :)

The main things I'd suggest are exercising more (mainly cardio) and eating more healthy. Walk, jog or ride a bicycle around your neighborhood every day, weather permitting. Start off with a short distance, and gradually increase. This way you're not putting yourself through too much at once. If by chance you get shin splints (I do from breaking my leg), stick with walking or riding a bicycle. If you have an mp3 player, bring that with you to take your mind off it. Pushups and crunches help too. Again, start off small and work your way up to your goal.

As far as eating more healthy....I'm no nutritionist, but what I did was to cut out all fast food and processed foods, and eat less. When I need something quick now, I'll head to a Subway or something like that. Cut back on sodas as well, and substitute with water or juice. You can "cheat" once in a while though. I do, haha.

Edit: I didn't have time to add this earlier since I was in class, but also avoid eating right before bed. Your body won't have a chance to burn it off.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but eat less.

All kidding aside, more likely than not you're eating too much of the wrong foods. Extremely simple things like having a glass of water instead of the soda, an apple instead of a Snickers, 2 strips of bacon versus three strips, cole slaw instead of fries with your BBQ sandwich and on and on.

Most diets fall because they require one to deny themselves something. A smart way to lose weight is to replace small things you enjoy with other small things you enjoy that don't pack the calories in.

I would take a little notepad with you and write down every single thing you eat for a month. Then sit down and review the entire thing and come up with some ideas of how to make minor changes to reduce your calorie intake. Don't completely eliminate anything, it's the road to failure. If you eat 6 Snickers in a month, change it to 4. Same thing with other high calorie/fat items.

Write down your entire exercise regimen for a month too. See what changes you can make to increase it a little. Small things like parking your car at the very end of a parking lot versus by the front door. If you walk or run for exercise add 1 more block to your regimen.

All these little changes add up over time and you're much less likely to fail than those that go on a big diet or exercise regimen. Failure is almost a guarantee. Small lifestyle changes on the other hand are much more likely to succeed. I'm 56 years old, 6'1" and weigh 190 lbs. I used to weigh 240. I did this and am not uncomfortable in the least. Diets did not work.

The other thing of great importance is don't weigh yourself frequently. Check once a week or even better, once a month. Mentally it's not good to focus on your weight. It's too easy to get disappointed because of the daily and weekly fluctuations.

Good luck. :)

Good advice above.

A few small things:

Never eat until you are full.

No beverages with sugar or corn syrup. no beer, gatoraid, juice, or pop (unless diet).

Don't snack between meals (except for carrots, celery - you get the drift)

Here's the hard part - Meals should consist of whole grains, fruit, lots of veggies, dairy products and go easy on the meat.

taking off the weight should be a long term ordeal (a year). keeping if off is a lifestyle change.

Good luck, if your family consumes high glycemic food it will be extra hard.

Lets do the math. 3500 cals = a pound. Just normal everyday activity burns 2000 calories. So to lose a pound per week, you need to trim 3500 cals per week. If you are 5'9 then you should weigh 165 lbs. You need to lose 85 lbs, that will take you two years.

Some will argue that you can change your lifestyle and exercise more and you can, but the reality is WILL YOU. Everybody can go on a diet for two weeks and lose 5 lbs, but that two year program is not so easy.

If your 15 years old and this kind of weight, then you need to see a Dr who specializes in weight loss. May even need to goto Summer fat camp. It will help to train you. Keep your goals realistic, your most likely NEVER gonna be a skinny person. If you get below 200, I would call that a win.

Here is a website that counts calories. If you wanna lose a lb per week, it will tell you the number of cals per day to acheive that goal.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/

Not to sound like a smart ass, but eat less.

All kidding aside, more likely than not you're eating too much of the wrong foods. Extremely simple things like having a glass of water instead of the soda, an apple instead of a Snickers, 2 strips of bacon versus three strips, cole slaw instead of fries with your BBQ sandwich and on and on.

Most diets fall because they require one to deny themselves something. A smart way to lose weight is to replace small things you enjoy with other small things you enjoy that don't pack the calories in.

I would take a little notepad with you and write down every single thing you eat for a month. Then sit down and review the entire thing and come up with some ideas of how to make minor changes to reduce your calorie intake. Don't completely eliminate anything, it's the road to failure. If you eat 6 Snickers in a month, change it to 4. Same thing with other high calorie/fat items.

Write down your entire exercise regimen for a month too. See what changes you can make to increase it a little. Small things like parking your car at the very end of a parking lot versus by the front door. If you walk or run for exercise add 1 more block to your regimen.

All these little changes add up over time and you're much less likely to fail than those that go on a big diet or exercise regimen. Failure is almost a guarantee. Small lifestyle changes on the other hand are much more likely to succeed. I'm 56 years old, 6'1" and weigh 190 lbs. I used to weigh 240. I did this and am not uncomfortable in the least. Diets did not work.

The other thing of great importance is don't weigh yourself frequently. Check once a week or even better, once a month. Mentally it's not good to focus on your weight. It's too easy to get disappointed because of the daily and weekly fluctuations.

Good luck. :)

Excellent advice.

Lets do the math. 3500 cals = a pound. Just normal everyday activity burns 2000 calories. So to lose a pound per week, you need to trim 3500 cals per week. If you are 5'9 then you should weigh 165 lbs. You need to lose 85 lbs, that will take you two years.

Some will argue that you can change your lifestyle and exercise more and you can, but the reality is WILL YOU. Everybody can go on a diet for two weeks and lose 5 lbs, but that two year program is not so easy.

If your 15 years old and this kind of weight, then you need to see a Dr who specializes in weight loss. May even need to goto Summer fat camp. It will help to train you. Keep your goals realistic, your most likely NEVER gonna be a skinny person. If you get below 200, I would call that a win.

Here is a website that counts calories. If you wanna lose a lb per week, it will tell you the number of cals per day to acheive that goal.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/

The weight you quote is not always a good indicator. It only works on the average. Take me for instance, when I graduated basic and AIT (army school for your job) I had a 36 inch waist, but at 5' 11.5" I weighed 220 lbs which was 40 pounds over the max weight according to the standards. I was well under the body fat % though. What I am trying to say is don't worry about the BMI as much as being healthy, and that is a variable according to your body.

I will also tell you this as you get older the weight is easier to gain and harder to get rid of.

Never skip meals, and more small meals are even better. Avoid processed foods, high fat content, salt, and drink lots of water. Even if you are only slightly dehydrated, it drasticly affects your metabolism, the same as if you starve your body.

Eat 5 smaller, healthier meals a day, if possible.

Breakfast: piece of whole grain bread, a yogurt, a piece of fruit and a small bottle of water or a couple of scrambled eggs(minus one of the yolks) one piece of toast, unbuttered(use jam instead, no fat and little calories) piece of fruit and a Glass of 1% milk. Some say you should drink an 8oz glass of water before you eat breakfast.

1'st snack: carrots, piece of cheese, water

lunch: tuna(with little mayo) on whole grain w/ lettuce and a piece of fruit, water

mid day snack: an apple, some celery and water

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast(boneless/skinless) rice and broccoli

Lots of cardio, start at 10 minutes, then bump it to 15 to 20, until you can do at least 40 minutes a day. Cardio only works once you can get your heartbeat above normal for over 20 consecutive minutes.

Stop drinking soda or energy or sports drinks and replace them with good Ole water.

The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat less quantity, eat healthier, and cardio. The cardio will help get your metabolism up and burn the healthier food quicker.

I've found that when I did the above, my weight loss was going much quicker by the third month. At first you won't notice much change, but don't get down, you didn't get heavy all at once, and you won't see huge results for a couple of months. It's a change of life style that you have to stick with....if you want to be thinner.

Never skip breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day.:)

Hit the weight room and put some muscle on. Since you are 15 potential to put on muscle is the best it will ever be. I would suggest checking out a book called Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe. Read the book and then do the novice strength program. You will gain muscle and the fat will melt off of you. PM if you would like some more info.

Also ride a lot more and longer, I find a good spirited ride is an effective cardio workout.

try bodybuildingforums.com they are experts on this (allowed to recomend an outside link) Ive changed my life with this and feel much better. These guys are pretty serious though and more scientific so it all depends how serious. Right now im so serious that im eating 40%carbs/40%protein/20#fat for my diet while taking a few supplements. Have my gym routine perfected by pros. I lost 30 pounds of fat/ then gained 20 pounds of muscle.