Sign in to follow this  

2009 recall

No one started a thread about it yet? I got me recall notice in the mail today. :)

What is it for?!!!!! My bike just got shipped from the dealer yesterday!! Hope mine wont need the recall.

Dear Kawasaki Customer,

VEHICLE SAFETY RECALL

Kawasaki Motors Pty. Ltd. has initiated a Vehicle Recall Campaign affecting the following model: KX450E9F.

Our records indicate that your Kawasaki Motorcycle is manufactured within the affected range.

On some eligible units, the bore of the throttle body assembly may have a microcrack where the air cleaner

duct attaches due to the improper casting mold setup. The crack can develop during use and a small piece of the throttle body

housing can become dislodged and ingested into the engine, resulting in minor engine damage.

All customers receiving this letter are obliged to return the affected vehicle to their original selling dealer if possible, or alternatively

any authorised Kawasaki dealer can perform this recall as required. Please contact the authorised Kawasaki dealer of your choice

and they will arrange for a date for this recall to be performed, free of charge.

If you require assistance in locating your nearest Kawasaki dealer, contact the Kawasaki office in your state or territory for advice

or log onto our website www.Kawasaki.com.au Thank you for your attention to this matter. Kawasaki apologies for any inconvenience

that may be caused to your and highly value your continued customer support.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Spindlow

National Technical Services Manager

I really hope mine is not in the affected range, its currently going out for export and there is no way i am shipping it back. When yamaha did the last recall on their 06 YZ250Fs, i just got the parts and did it myself, i guess ill have to do this this time as well.

I really hope mine is not in the affected range, its currently going out for export and there is no way i am shipping it back. When yamaha did the last recall on their 06 YZ250Fs, i just got the parts and did it myself, i guess ill have to do this this time as well.

I'm hoping i can do the same with mine, my dealers only 2.5 hours away, but i'd rather do it myself anyway.

Yours should be fine though, i bought mine mid November i think.

So I work at a Kawi dealer. I can't post the bulletin but basically it's an inspection of the "lot number" that is stamped on to the side of the throttle body. If it falls into a lot number that says 0140AZF with a W,X,Y, or Z after it you will get a new throttle body. Otherwise your dealer can just do the inspection and be done. If you have a good relationship with your selling dealer, they'll probably do it for you over the phone.

So I work at a Kawi dealer. I can't post the bulletin but basically it's an inspection of the "lot number" that is stamped on to the side of the throttle body. If it falls into a lot number that says 0140AZF with a W,X,Y, or Z after it you will get a new throttle body. Otherwise your dealer can just do the inspection and be done. If you have a good relationship with your selling dealer, they'll probably do it for you over the phone.

Can you give us the vin range as well?

Sorry, can't post VIN range. Kawi's system now requires that we run the VIN through their computer interface to determine eligibility. My experience with this is that it probably applies to all bikes produced before the date of the recall. The way the recall is written, all affected bikes will need to be inspected. The key is the stamping on the side of the throttle body. If it falls within the codes that I listed before, the throttle body will need to be replaced. If not, it's just an inspection and you are riding. Most dealers will do this while the bike is in the back of your truck even. If you are in a remote location and don't want to drive to get to a dealer, call the local shop. I would offer to have you all send me your VIN numbers and get paid by Kawi for doing the inspections, but I have a feeling they would frown on me "inspecting" bikes around the country.

I ran a few VINs from units we have in stock today and I was a bit erroneous in saying all bikes will need the inspection. Apparently Kawi wants to have us run EVERY KX450F just for the sake of finding out if it falls in range. The Vin range isn't listed anywhere that I can find yet. If I do, I will pass it on. For the time being, I will help anyone that wants it. I'm not a real regular in this part of the forum (I have a KX250F)so best to PM me if you need anything or have questions

top shelf. Do you think my kawi dealer or any others, would mind customers in the affected range mailing the faulty throttle body in the shops and then having the new one shipped back. Basically i want to do the replacement myself.

Adam-I can tell you that on my end, I would be willing to work with you on it if you were a regular at my store. I can't speak for other shops. That's definitely not within the "letter of the law" from Kawi. I can understand not wanting dealer techs to work on your bike. There is a, well deserved, reputation of dealer techs not giving a poop about what they are working on. However, when you are dealing with recall issues, there are some specifics that are put out by Kawi that make that sort of idea difficult. I think the best info I can give you would be to call your dealers service manager. He/she is the one that has to take the heat if something were to go wrong.