2008 KXF 450 - How much oil?

Hello,

I know this is a dumb question, BUT I just purchased a used KXF 450 (that I am just going to turn around and sell, long story but I just decided to help my buddy out who needed that cash). Anyway, I am going to change the oil/oil filter before I sell it and of course my buddy did not have the owners manual. Could someone PLEASE let me know how much oil I need to put back in it when I change it along with the oil filter (the Honda's I have owned in the past, you had to put a little more oil in when you put a new filter in because that new filter would soak up some oil initially). Thanks for any responses.

The amount is on the tab next to the fill cap - 1.2L or 1.3qts - be careful not to over torque the plug and filter cover bolts, and when removing the filter cover, twist it very gently while pulling straight toward you. Pulling at an angle can break the inner o-ring groove and not twisting will make it 'pop' out and get oil everywhere. You should see oil in the window. Good luck.

dont ever go off the site glass.. ..That site glass is like a picture, just something to look at but does nothing

Hoss,

What makes you say that? That sight glass is positioned at an exact place on the casting so that the oil is controlled to a certain height on the motor which corresponds to the internal components that need lubrication. The internal volume of the motor could vary with the cast casings and parts inside. What makes you sure that 1000cc's will bring the oil to the correct level in all motors? I have a feeling that the 1000cc figure will get you into a safe range either way but I feel better by using an amount that will get me to a known level in the motor. I would not feel comfortable using any amount that did not get the level onto the sight glass! YMMV

Mike

$4200 and all it needs is a set of tires. Everything else on the bike is in great condition. My buddy who I bought it off of rode it more on the road than anything which is why it needs some tires. I am located near Springfield. Thanks!

If you put a 1000 ccs in it and stand the bike straight up, it will show up in the site glass everytime.

If you have it on a triangle, instead of a lift/stand u wont see the oil thru the glass until u stand it straight

Because thats what the motor takes.. I drain my oil 10 minutes after riding it while still hot , I let it drain then slowly push down on the kick starter so it rotates and any oil in there comes out..I pay no attention to the site glass ever , I mean what your saying the amount that goes in everytime should be different? It calls for a certain amount of oil and thats exactly what I put into it, ive done that since a 99 yz 400 first thumper and have had a new one every years since of all brands and not once have I ever went off the site glass, mean when you pour it in you think its just gonna all settle perfectly and have a perfect reading on the window?Or do you start and let it settle after being hot? Either way IMO its easier to pour in 1000cc of oil and call it good. if your running your motor 5-10 hrs on the same oil maybe some other way is better but as I said ive done it on every 4 stroke ive had and two strokes back in the day.. If you ever go to a ama national do you think they pour in oil and use the site glass? No they dont they have either bottles premade that they pour right in or you will see them measure it..

As always its personal prefrence I dont like think or hope I have the correct amount I like to KNOW for sure its perfect.

• Like 1

not sure who u were talking to I but I am not saying that it takes a different amount everytime, I simply said that the amounts depending on whether you change the filter, of if the engine is completely dry are different amounts, which are denoted right on the motor itself.

I also said that the site glass does work, even with just 1000ccs in it, (some say it doesnt show the oil) well mine does.. I dont use it besides just to see is there oil or not. u cant use the window to decide how much oil to put in..

not sure who u were talking to I but I am not saying that it takes a different amount everytime, I simply said that the amounts depending on whether you change the filter, of if the engine is completely dry are different amounts, which are denoted right on the motor itself.

I also said that the site glass does work, even with just 1000ccs in it, (some say it doesnt show the oil) well mine does.. I dont use it besides just to see is there oil or not. u cant use the window to decide how much oil to put in..

Not on the 4-strokes (haven't even done my first oil change on my new bike yet), but I've used the site glass since my 1986 KX80 through bike after bike and never had a problem with using just the glass window.

Hoss,

No I'm not saying that you should not put a specified amount in each time. I'm just saying that each bike or motor could be slightly different and each owner should verify at some point that a certain amount of oil will get their level onto the sight glass. Once that is verified it should be about the same each time. If I was filling up a bike that was new to me, I would not feel comfortable if a specified amount did not get the level onto the sight glass.

Mike

Mike,

I hear ya.. I have put in 1000cc's since day one , after reading your comment I have looked at the sight glass a few times.. I rode today did a moto and came in and let my bike sit for about 45 min.. I looked at the sight glass and the oil was at the very bottom of the window.. I poured in exactly 50cc of oil and it put it near the middle..I guess I will start putting in 1050 cc's of oil it a small amount but you freaked me out lol All I was saying is that when you pour the oil in it can get caught up in the engine and could never be an accurate window reading.. I think 1000cc is fin but maybe 1100cc is better.. I can tell you that I read on Transworld mx on all the 09 bikes and how much oil and it said 1300cc's of oil so I dunno I got the 1000cc's of oil from researching on this forum.

Kawi yes when I put 1000cc in might window is completely full but after riding it I can barley see it..Im gonna try 1050cc next change.

Kawi yes when I put 1000cc in might window is completely full but after riding it I can barley see it..Im gonna try 1050cc next change.

Yea, I put the 1000cc's in and started it up for a few seconds then let it sit then the oil wasn't even coming up to the window. I didn't measure how much extra I put in to get the oil to the top of the window, but that's the level it came with stock so I'll just have to measure how much more than 1000cc's it took to get the level to the top of the window (after the engine has been started to circulated the oil of course).

When I do the change, without touching the filter, I put in 1 quart, and it seems to be just fine that way... shows up at the bottom half of the site glass, I whoop the heck out of it and never had any problems.

I notice that when the oil that I'm using is cold (Rotella 15w40 recommended on this forum) that it's right at the high level on the glass eye. But once I've done some laps and the oil is warmed up good the level is way over the high level. When are you suppose to measure it, when it's cold or fully warmed? Because it shows two totally different levels depending on if the oil is cold or with a fully warmed up motor (I noticed a little dripping from the oil vent hose today, wonder if I should drain a little oil out).

When I used Bel-Ray 80w Gear Saver in my 2-strokes, the oil level in the window was consistent whether cold or warm.

I find with 1000ml of oil i have to lean the bike towards the right hand side just to get it to come into the sight glass , when I add the extra 200 ml it sits around the middle of the glass .

Feel happier knowing I can see it in the glass .