Sign in to follow this  

Dent in header

I've been looking around for an exhaust system for drz400sm and came across this listing on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___FMF-Racing-Full-Exhaust-Suzuki-DRZ-400-S-SM-KLX-400_W0QQitemZ280322970249QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280322970249&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

It looks like a pretty good deal and I have considered buying a q4 and powerbomb header new since it will make a little more power, look and sound better all without being too loud. This listing is for the high-flo header and not the powerbomb but for the half the price I can look past that.

Just wondering if that dent will cause any problems, common sense tells me no but it is fairly sizeable and just wanted to know before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance

Edit: not sure why its not a hotlink...

anything that reduces the pipe's ability to flow will be detrimental to maximum performance, so i would stay away from a pipe with a dented header

anything that reduces the pipe's ability to flow will be detrimental to maximum performance, so i would stay away from a pipe with a dented header

That was my thinking exactly, the aftermarket header is for increased airflow and the dent will reduce it and possibly cause turbulence. The thing is I have absolutely no idea how big it would take to cause any of those problems though.

I tried to include a link in my previous post but its not a hotlink for some reason although a simple copy and paste will work. There is a pic of the dent on the listing if it helps.

Your common sense tells you right. You won't feel any loss in performance and unless you're racing or you got a show bike you'll never know it's there. If it's a killer deal I'd go for it.

There is a pic of the dent on the listing if it helps.

!BOhFHLwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlzVpnBJvH+L(uNg~~_1.JPG

fill it with water and freeze it overnight in the morning

the dent will be gone

the link above isnt working for me this might be what it is

that is a sizable dent. without being able to cap off both ends, i don't think filling it with water and freezing it is going to do any good. i'd stay away from that one if it were me

bump: i just looked at the link posted above, and i'm amazed. perhaps it's worth a try. if it doesn't work, you could always drill a couple of small holes and use a dent puller and then weld the holes up. keep us posted if you decide to buy it

He won't get that dent out with the water and freezer trick :)

I would bet money (if I had some) the power of water

freezing or turning into steam is much more than you will believe

and if it doesnt work what did you lose, anything ,thaw it and dry

it out.

water is amazing what else expands when frozen and when boiled

Water would be worth a try but if it didn't work I would drill a fairly large hole on the back side and slip a dull rod thru the hole and drive the dent out in several places. Put the dent on a flat surface when you drive the rod. It isn't always pretty but if you work it around with patience it will fix the flow problem. Then weld the hole up....at least the weld is on the inside where you can't see it. From the looks of the dent this one is repairable.

Filling it with water and freezing will cause expansion, unfortunately not just at the dent. The whole thing will expand and split the case.

What I've experimented with successfully is air and heat.

Seal both ends, one end with a hose fitting to an adjustable air regulator. Give it ~ 25 psi, then heat the dent slowly with a torch. As the stainless softens, it will balloon back out to original. If it goes out a bit too far, is easy to tap back in with a small hammer.

Let it cool, polish the oxide off with a Scotchbrite pad.

If you are still looking for a new exhaust I would suggest MRD.They make a great product with an incredible warranty/free crash repalcement.

If you do a search here for MRD you'll see tons of great feedback on them.Very affordable too.

Yeah I actually purchased an MRD earlier this week. I got the standard since I read about some clearance issues with the SSW version plus I'll buy a new bike before I pay for a big bore kit and all the expense that comes with it. I was a little worried about the noise but I've gotten used to wearing noise canceling headphones. Just waiting for it now :p