Sign in to follow this  

Ape needs new bars

I need to replace my bent bars after a 30mph crash, And thought i would replace with something a bit taller as i`m 6`5". I currently have the standard magura sx bars with a 20mm riser on a 2005 exc 400. i`ve looked though past posts and can only find reference to bars the same height (120mm)rise. the only bars i have found taller are the easton freestyle has anyone tryed them or found better. thanks :)

I'm about your height, and I used to have a pair of Protaper Pastrana FMX. I loved them but bent em and actually need to get another set. I do have a theory that the taller bend bars are easier to bend, and might try a set of risers.

I have 20mm risers as well! I compressed one side in the crash! It would be nice to have something taller!!!!

For certain the taller they are the more leverage a crash impact has. tall guys never like my opinion on bars (I am 6'1") but I will voice it anyway. A dirt bike works with the rider bent forward, spinal problems are minimized by maintaining a curve in the spine, standard production stuff suits riders in the 5'9" to 6'2" range, when you are taller than that yes you need a taller bar but not 1 to 1, maybe 1/4" to 1 as riding position is not standing straight up. So something around 1" taller than production bars would be in order. As for risers they raise the bar up and back (do to fork rake) you probuly want to go up and forward, I think the Pastrana bar does that well?