Sign in to follow this  

i need help finding a tool

of all the stupid things that i want for my bike, i realize that one thing i need more than most is a specific size wrench. The question is, what size? and where?

heres the backstory: i bought this like wrench set (i'd link it but i can't find it anymore) and it has like 12-15 pieces, i'm not sure, but even though the biggest is really quite big, the darn thing STILL doesnt fit around my spark plug. My friend has this small (length wise) wrench that fits fine, but i dont know the size. So i need help

and for those of you who say just hand tighten it, i'd agree, however this proved bad because recently while riding my bike just shut off on me. I looked at the plug, and it FELL OUT. literally. No signs of wear and not stripped at all, it just vibrated out. It was a hand tightened one.

if this matters: I run a br9es, and sometimes a br8

Take the plug to a shop and I'm sure they can find one. Maybe to an auto parts store, if the socket is deep enough. You need to tighten it a little tighter than just finger tight, but don't really crank down on it.

Why dont you just get a spark plug socket? I always use my socket set to loosen/tighten but never tighten it more than probably 20 in/lbs.

I've had motorcycle plugs that aren't the standard size sockets.

Pull it out, go to any auto parts store, they'll have one that fits.

Or hardware store or Sears, but you'll pay a little bit more there since they don't sell as many single pack deep sockets as auto parts places. (only justification I can think of for price)

It's 13/16" and you need it AT LEAST a quarter turn or more tighter than "hand tight."

http://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=3278

Plug torque settings

It is essential to tighten a spark plug to the specified turning angle or torque setting. This is for a number of reasons, over tightening can cause;

1) Damage to the threads in the cylinder head (especially aluminum heads).

2) Damage the threads of the spark plug.

3) Damage the internal seal of a spark plug allowing combustion chamber blow-by.

Under tightening of the spark plug can cause plug overheating and possibly pre-ignition. This is because one of the primary purposes of the spark plug is to remove heat from the combustion chamber, it does so by transferring that heat to the engine head. If the plug is not properly tighten it will not have sufficient contact with the head to transfer that heat. Proper tightening procedure is described below.

Screw in the spark plug finger tight until the gasket meets the cylinder head. Then seat the plug/gasket with a torque or turning angle wrench as specified in the chart below.

Flat seat type (with gasket)

Thread Diameter 14 ø mm

Aluminum Cylinder Head (lb-ft.) 18.0~21.6

• Like 1

the br plugs are a 13/16 socket you can buy a plug wrench that size and carry it in the bar pad on ur bike

Keep in mind that on some bikes you need a special plug wrench. My XR takes a thin walled wrench, normal plug wrenches wont fit.

Keep in mind that on some bikes you need a special plug wrench. My XR takes a thin walled wrench, normal plug wrenches wont fit.

You can just grind down a regular wrench so you don't have to hunt down a thin wall wrench.

You can just grind down a regular wrench so you don't have to hunt down a thin wall wrench.

Hey thats a good idea. I never tought about doing that. I will keep that in mind!