Sign in to follow this  

Te 510 problems 2008

I have had a te 510 2008 (with power kit) for about 8 months now and the first 3 months it was the best bike you could ever ride. But now i have problem after problem. I bought the bike from Sam laws Motorcycles in Orange Australia the steering lock has never worked after the first couple of rides it started to backfire so i replaced the iredium plug at $20 a pop. Than it started to do it more and more and i cant afford to replace the plug every time i take it for a ride. It also has a bad oil leak from the middle case seal at the top and the forke seals started to leak so i took it back to the shop for its second service, forke seals, oil leak and sreering lock. I got the bike back after 4 weeks in the shop. They had not fixed the steering lock, they had told me it is completely stuffed and they didnt have time to fix the oil leak. I rode the bike home about 3km and it fouled a plug before i got home, now i have to kick start my bike every time i go for a ride because my battery won't hold charge. I have been for 2 rides about 5 hours all up an my fork seals have blown out again. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do??

holy crap, what a weird story. Bad dealer. those problems you mention are very wierd never heard of them. I owned a 2005 Te510, it was great. yeah I lose a fork seal once but after riding the bike forever, that was it and teh front wheel bearing went out after a year and the clutch slave master went bad after a year but that was all, very minor.

clean the fork seal by pulling durt out with a thin piece of plastic like 35mm film- put under seal and turn in a circle- common resolution

these small batteries on motorcycles discharge at a higher rate than cars- you have to keep it on a battery tender or they die-

If the stator cover or clutch cover leaks- check bolts for tightness- and if they are inspect the gaskets- order new or reset with some sealant if not dammaged...

slight back firing is normal on decel- if it sounds lilke a shotgun blast that's not ok.

I don't think you should need to replace all those spark plugs- how bad do they look- what causes you to think you need to change them, what symptom- not firing??

Sounds like the dealer didn't help you where you needed to be helped- if you can work it out with them great... otherwise find a new one.

it is the center crank case seal that leaks, as for the plug i ride the bike and it is fine for about 2 hrs, then it starts to miss at hi revs then as i ride it more and more the miss starts to get worse and i cant rev it past 7000rpm then it is like i cant even give it full throdle or it will miss. After abut 4 hrs of ride time i cant ride it, so i put a new plug in it and it is as good as new! Has anny one had any problems like this it is driving me mad becouse i love to ride my bike but i am starting to hate it! I have allso tryed normal plug thay are the same do the same thing but only $3.50 a plug

Do you have power-up kit installed? If available, take your bike to another dealer! Have you had the TPS checked? EFI checked with i-Beat? My steering column lock is done as well and I have been waiting over a year to get it fixed, but in all this time, I have never heard of anyone who has fouled a plug on an 08+ EFI bike...ever!

pickles5

Check your coil connections. They are spade connectors that get loose with time. I tightened mine, (crimped them so they were a snug fit). I cured all my problems, (popping,stuttering,backfire and stalling on take off).

Like krasht said check the connection on the coil, I bet this will solve your spark plug problem. Mine also had an oil leak in the case up under the starter somewhere. It ended up just being loose case bolts. Torque all your engine bolts and see if any are loose. Most all of mine were under torqued and it has not leaked a drop since.

If you have rode in the mud and let the mud dry on your forks, they will leak on the next ride. Once the mud is dry it gets up under the seal and allows it to leak. A good cleaning like mentioned earlier is all I have had to do to mine. Good luck. Ken

While plug fowling can be a carb/injection issue its more likly a weak spark issue. check everything related to ignition. If also can be a restricted air supply, check the air filter, even ride it briefly without the filter, with filter out it should run the same, will make more noise which some confuse with power.

Has the exhaust ever been off? I have seen cases where someone stuffed a rag in the exhaust pipe while it was off, then put the pipe on and the rag went to the spark arrestor and blocked it, seen the same done at the air filter but that usually buggers up the throttle

Also try and get in contact with husqvarna themselves, like a sales rep for your area or the actual importer. They tend to motivate the dealer to do right by you.

I've been dealing with R&D Husqvarna @ Emu Plains, NSW. I've found them to be extremely helpfull.

They've done right by me so that's where my bike goes from here on in.

Obviously Orange isn't exactly round the corner but it could serve a trip t get all the warranty issues sorted.

thanks to all. I checked my coil and the terminals were louse so i crimped them took it around the block and it is like a new bike i still have to clean my fork seals thanks again! cant wate till in the morning so i can take it for a ride.

My 08 SM510 leaked from the center case seal after about 200 miles. The dealer re-torqued all the case bolts and it hasn't leaked since, have ~4000 miles on it now. I'm not sure what caused the leak in the first place though. Bolts stretched, bolts backed out a bit, bolts were not properly torqued in the first place??? maybe someone had a similar problem and knows what caused it. Not to hijack your tread...

My center case has a slight leak also......I will re-torque. Finally fixed the weak speedo cable wires by heat shrinking!!!

thanks to all. I checked my coil and the terminals were louse so i crimped them took it around the block and it is like a new bike i still have to clean my fork seals thanks again! cant wate till in the morning so i can take it for a ride.

I think Krasht and Joliet- found it for you:thumbsup:

good job- I remembered reading about crimping that in the past but its one of those things that is easy to forget- some things like that should be right from the get go...

Pickles5, hopefully that solves it- let us know

I've noticed that the engine bolts and side case bolts come loose after a couple of rides. I usually torque the bolts down after every other ride. It's pretty easy since all of the bolts are 8mm.